ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone up for reviewing CDs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-07-13, 22:26    Post subject: Anyone up for reviewing CDs? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I just got an idea...
There have been a few CD releases lately with Jean-François and Bronwyn's CDs (if there are more let me know)
Anyone up for writing reviews?
Visit poster’s website Skype
Fiona Dawes

PostPosted: 2013-08-21, 09:32    Post subject: Anyone up for reviewing CDs? Reply with quote

Hi Kiku,

I have been giving some thought to reviewing Bronwyn Kirkpatrick's CD Shingetsu.

It was something else to hear Bronwyn's CD in the context of ongoing lessons and developing an ear for the sound produced via Skype. I understand that in the recording technique; Bronwyn was aiming for a 'near' as opposed to 'far' experience for the listener. When Bronwyn mentioned this decision, and the experience of a Japanese recording aesthetic, it didn't occur to me that I might expect a recording from Japan to have a particular sound quality. I guess I have a notion from the representation of Japanese music from Western films.

How can I describe it? The cover of the CD provides the image. The image of the sea in sepia (black and white) with an eroded concrete jetty was surprising to me; quite a contrast to Moon, Bronwyn's first CD, as rough compares to smooth. I really like the texture and this was my feedback to Bronwyn.

So basically the CD was surprising; I was startled by the different sound quality compared to Skype, somewhat naive yes, but this was good information.

Thank you Kiku for starting a conversation about the new CD's. I had thought it would fun to apply Bronwyn Sensei's 'is it making sense?' to the criteria. Yes, it makes sense.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-08-21, 10:16    Post subject: Anyone up for reviewing CDs? Reply with quote

Thanks for this, Fiona. If you could think of writing more in detail for the ESS Newsletter, let me know. If not this is a good starting point! Thank you for taking this up! Smile
Fiona Dawes

PostPosted: 2013-08-22, 01:36    Post subject: Anyone up for reviewing CDs? Reply with quote

Kiku, that would be great. I would like to give the review due process, I could plan it over the next study term, about 10 weeks. Okay
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-08-22, 07:13    Post subject: Anyone up for reviewing CDs? Reply with quote

Sounds great! Looking forward for the read!!!
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 10:51    Post subject: Anyone up for reviewing CDs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Kiosk All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation