ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new practice spot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Museum
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-07-27, 04:41    Post subject: My new practice spot Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I am a curator at the Museum of Old and New Art in Tasmania. We have this statue, made of 8 tons of compressed incense ash. I have taken to playing shakuhachi near it. Also nearby are the mold from which it was cast and a large video screen of incense smoke. I play only honkyoku.

DaveW

PostPosted: 2013-07-27, 09:39    Post subject: My new practice spot Reply with quote

Very nice Brian - I can imagine that this is a very beautiful space to play in.
Cheers
Erin

PostPosted: 2013-07-27, 18:12    Post subject: My new practice spot Reply with quote

How are the acoustics in there, Brian? And is the room cool and therefore a nice respite from your Tasmanian winter heat. Looks like it'd have a mellow vibe next to the incense Buddha. Okay
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2013-07-28, 09:27    Post subject: My new practice spot Reply with quote

Very nice.
Visit poster’s website
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-07-28, 18:36    Post subject: My new practice spot Reply with quote

Brian, did you bow the head off that sculpture!!!
Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-07-29, 02:45    Post subject: My new practice spot Reply with quote

Erin wrote:
How are the acoustics in there, Brian? And is the room cool and therefore a nice respite from your Tasmanian winter heat. Looks like it'd have a mellow vibe next to the incense Buddha. Okay

Museum is at a constant temperature and humidity. The acoustics are tremendous. There is another sculpture that has huge Chinese bells ringing, so the whole place sounds like a Buddhist Temple during a ritual.
CharlesKoeppen

PostPosted: 2013-08-01, 20:31    Post subject: My new practice spot Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful. A sculpture made from incense ash! It's a philosophical statement in itself (transformed from incense and still impermanent). I took a look at the museum website, mona.net.au , I can't help but think that it is for the betterment of mankind. The picture is a piece of art in itself. I can only imagine what it must feel like to be able to do justice to sacred music in such a space. If there were any manner to have an audience with the immortals other than years in an ashram, that must be one of them.
Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-08-03, 00:21    Post subject: My new practice spot Reply with quote

Yes Charles, when I am in that space I am glad to be able to play proper honkyoku and give that to the people and the elements. My friend is also doing the Urasenke Japanese tea ceremony in another artwork in this exhibition, which is a traditional teahouse made of mirrors instead of tatami etc. So at the moment there are a lot of Japanese traditional arts going on there.
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 20:49    Post subject: My new practice spot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Museum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation