ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bottom lip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
veggiepower

PostPosted: 2011-04-03, 03:17    Post subject: bottom lip Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
My teacher keeps instructing me to not have as much of my bottom lip in the flute. She instructs me to raise the bottom of the flute from my mouth so the utaghuchi is higher and my bottom lip is not in the flute as much. Well, when I do this the utaguchi seems to be way too high and nowhere near the airstream. When I do this it feel more like blowing over the edge of a bottle and not so much like splitting the airstream over the utaguchi. Frustrated! Any insight would be great. Thanks
CharlesKoeppen

PostPosted: 2011-04-03, 20:20    Post subject: bottom lip Reply with quote

I like using this as a reality check sometimes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W4RhKFtrsw
Visit poster’s website
x moran

PostPosted: 2011-04-03, 21:36    Post subject: bottom lip Reply with quote

Your teacher is right.

Always.
Henrique - "MusgoDaP

PostPosted: 2011-04-04, 02:33    Post subject: bottom lip Reply with quote

Follow what your teacher say, but do not forget that you need to have control over your lips. Both of them, in order to get good meri and kari. Keep the position as she said and work your lips control to get a jet that follow your orders!
Henrique - "MusgoDaP

PostPosted: 2011-04-04, 02:35    Post subject: bottom lip Reply with quote

Also, remember that when you are in the position your teacher wants you to hold the shaku, you need to split the airstream and have the air cutted in two to have sound!
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2011-04-04, 08:34    Post subject: bottom lip Reply with quote

It sounds like your teacher is right... but it probably feels awkward at first.
A few advices:

1. Remember to direct your air down in towards the flute so that the air does hit the utaguchi even in that position where the utaguchi feels far (she has shown you kari position). I think you keep your air directed in the direction you had when your lips were closer to the utaguchi and then the air just go across without really hitting the right spot. Even having your head, lips and flute in the position your teacher has shown you, you can direct your air downwards.

2. If you can get a sound when your lips are much closer to the utaguchi (meri position) follow that sound for a while and then try to slowly raise your chin so the utaguchi has that distance as your teacher has shown you. That can help you as well instead of beginning in the difficult position.

To be able to control the two positions is crucial for shakuhachi playing. And once you get it - it will feel great. Good luck with it.
Visit poster’s website Skype
Andy Blake

PostPosted: 2011-04-05, 05:25    Post subject: bottom lip Reply with quote

CharlesKoeppen wrote:
I like using this as a reality check sometimes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W4RhKFtrsw

This is an interesting video. It would be helpful if someone could provide a general translation of the points being made. I like the way the author grounds his position by tipping his upper lip against the utaguchi each time to get a consistent placement. I've been trying to do something similar with my left thumb but this seems to be a better way and my first experiments with this approach today yielded good results.

Andy
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 01:45    Post subject: bottom lip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation