ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Atari.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-08-07, 14:06    Post subject: Atari. Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Is there a convention for atari? I've been using hole 2 and hole 4, but now I read someone saying that you should use the lowest hole of the note, as in hole 1 for Ro, and hole 3 for Re. The attack is so rapid that I suppose the difference is subtle , but then there are so many subtleties with the shakuhachi!
Jeff Cairns
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-08-07, 16:39    Post subject: Atari. Reply with quote

I suppose that it depends on the style that you play to some degree. I play kinko style in the Wakanakai bent. Atari is played on the 2nd and 4th hole unless otherwise specified in the music. Certainly it is written to be played on the 3rd hole at times, and on the first hole as ル。 In the case of ヒ however, it is played on the fifth hole. Any other variations?
Visit poster’s website Skype
Lorka

PostPosted: 2013-08-08, 15:11    Post subject: Atari. Reply with quote

Repeating Ro with H4 is quite interesting. I just tried it. I've done that before, of course, but rarely and had forgotten. I did not know that there was a style of playing that used H4 atari. H2 is pretty standard, but H4 is rather unique. To me it seems that this variation leads to a very mellow atari. Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-08-08, 19:15    Post subject: Atari. Reply with quote

Jeff probably didn't mean to do Atari on Ro with H4. You use H2 for Ro and Tsu, and H4 for Re and Chi. Kurahashi sensei told me that in his style Honkyoku you use mostly the same hole as the note you are playing, and the rule is: for Ro, if H2 is indicated, it should be quick, just a break in the note... if H1 is indicated it's slower, so you can actually hear the Tsu note... same with Re and H3 or H4. Sometimes for Re or Chi H1 is notated for atari... it's a great sound if you emphasise it a bit with your breath.
Lorka

PostPosted: 2013-08-08, 20:13    Post subject: Atari. Reply with quote

I'm not sure if Jeff meant a Ro atari on H4, but it is possible if you are blowing softly. I tried H5 Ro atari for fun, but just got squeeky sounds. I think the shakuhachi was angry with me at that point.

Doing a Chi atari with H1 is something I never tried before. These alternate methods are quite interesting to try out. As you say Pepe, if you go a little breathy for emphasis, the H1 repeat can work, though it seems very soft/less pronounced obviously.
Jeff Cairns
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-08-09, 01:00    Post subject: Atari. Reply with quote

Lorka, sorry. I didn't specify which not to use which atari with, however Pepe's explanation is what I meant. His style differs from mine with respect to the way Kurahashi teaches atari use and the way that Tsurugi teaches it. One unique atari is the one used for yon no ha. The way that I play yon no ha is holes 2, 3 and 5 open and atari is done on H4. That being said, I haven't come across many cases in the traditional repertoire where atari is necessary on yon no ha. Check it out by playing an open hole scale all the way up from otsu ro to yon no ha playing 4 ataris on each open hole note. Descend in the same manner. Are ataris different ascending and descending?
Visit poster’s website Skype
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 20:38    Post subject: Atari.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation