ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Music for Taiko drums and shakuhachi
Goto page: 1, 2  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Cathycarroll

PostPosted: 2013-08-11, 19:32    Post subject: Music for Taiko drums and shakuhachi Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hi
I have started to learn the shakuhachi and I also play in a taiko band. Does anyone have any suggestions for some easy pieces for Taiko and Shakuhachi? Cathy

PostPosted: 2013-08-11, 20:17    Post subject: Music for Taiko drums and shakuhachi Reply with quote

Do you know "on the way - michi yuki" Taiko Shakuhachi played by Joji Hirota, John Kaizan Neptune and Kenny Endo? Just bought it some days ago.

For the beginning you can try some rhythmic children songs or minyo. Just lay an easy drum rhythm under the melody. Sakura or Kojo no tsuki can give you a start.
Visit poster’s website
Cathycarroll

PostPosted: 2013-08-12, 20:23    Post subject: Shakuhachi and Taiko Reply with quote

Thanks very much will look for michi yuki . Yes I am working on Sakura and Kojo no tsuki. Smile

PostPosted: 2013-08-12, 21:08    Post subject: Music for Taiko drums and shakuhachi Reply with quote

You can not play with/against a whole taiko group with the Shakuhachi. Nobody will hear you. One drummer/percusionist can work fine. If you want to be heard over your whole group you have to use a shinobue. You can play sakura or kojo no tsuki with shinobue as well.

On youtube you can find some examples. Search for Riley Lee and TaikOz.
Visit poster’s website
Cathycarroll

PostPosted: 2013-08-13, 08:29    Post subject: Music for Taiko drums and shakuhachi Reply with quote

Yes I have trouble even with my conventional flute! I hadn't heard of a shinobue before - I will look into it - meantime will just play in the quiet bits!

PostPosted: 2013-08-13, 13:29    Post subject: Music for Taiko drums and shakuhachi Reply with quote

Listen to this:

I love this player of Shinobue : "ITTEKI FUKUHARA" Wink

PostPosted: 2013-08-14, 17:09    Post subject: Music for Taiko drums and shakuhachi Reply with quote

Never looked it up before...but on YouTube "Sound of Silence ll Shakuhachi and Taiko" is fantastic!
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2013-08-14, 17:36    Post subject: Music for Taiko drums and shakuhachi Reply with quote

felix martens wrote:
Never looked it up before...but on YouTube "Sound of Silence ll Shakuhachi and Taiko" is fantastic!

Yes it's very good ! Okay

PostPosted: 2013-08-14, 22:49    Post subject: Music for Taiko drums and shakuhachi Reply with quote

I liked it too. How do you get that breathy sound? When I play the shakuhachi it just sounds more like a recorder ( but nicer! )

PostPosted: 2013-08-15, 08:14    Post subject: Music for Taiko drums and shakuhachi Reply with quote

This is beautiful
Plume Blanche wrote:
Listen to this:

I love this player of Shinobue : "ITTEKI FUKUHARA" Wink

PostPosted: 2013-08-15, 09:12    Post subject: Music for Taiko drums and shakuhachi Reply with quote

Cathy,www.shakuhachizen.com has a section on shakuhachi warm up exercises, in which one of the exercises is the production of "breathy" sounds.
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2013-08-15, 11:30    Post subject: Music for Taiko drums and shakuhachi Reply with quote

Cathy,

I'm not an expert, of course, but if you expanded the opening of your mouth blowing, and you blow a little more inside the Shakuhachi, you get a breathy sound.

In any case this is what works for me.

I have the opposite problem of yours, I have difficulties to make sounds that are not breathy ! Razz

PostPosted: 2013-08-15, 12:14    Post subject: Music for Taiko drums and shakuhachi Reply with quote

yatai bayashi played by taikoza with Marco Lienhard at the shinobue is a good example for shinobue playing with taiko. You can find an mp3 at Marcos homepage. Goto music and scroll down.

This will give you en example as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnCpQykGtQ4
Visit poster’s website
Cathycarroll

PostPosted: 2013-08-17, 22:35    Post subject: Music for Taiko drums and shakuhachi Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help! Smile

PostPosted: 2013-08-21, 04:06    Post subject: Music for Taiko drums and shakuhachi Reply with quote

felix martens wrote:
Cathy,www.shakuhachizen.com has a section on shakuhachi warm up exercises, in which one of the exercises is the production of "breathy" sounds.

Hi Felix, I'm also interested in "breathy" sounds, could you let me know where exactly on that web page these 'warm up exercises' appear? I had a look but I could find no such exercises. There is a sound analysis of such effects though: http://www.shakuhachizen.com/special-effects.html
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 23:40    Post subject: Music for Taiko drums and shakuhachi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: 1, 2  >
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation