ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maple Shakuhachi flutes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Janpanam

PostPosted: 2013-08-13, 19:30    Post subject: Maple Shakuhachi flutes Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hello everybody,

Greetings

Jan

Last edited by Janpanam on 2015-09-20, 17:07; edited 1 time in total
Jeff Cairns
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-08-14, 01:55    Post subject: Maple Shakuhachi flutes Reply with quote

Hello Jan,
I realize that I may appear biased because I sell used, good bamboo shakuhachi cheaply, but maple flutes
are used here in Japan only as starter flutes and mainly because the new player either can't afford a bamboo
flute, or isn't sure whether they will continue with the shakuhachi or not and doesn't want to invest in a bamboo
flute. I have started my own students with maple flutes, but soon encourage them to take the plunge and buy a good bamboo
flute.
You are right in a sense that maple flutes are sturdier than bamboo from the point of view that
they rarely crack due to extremes of climate whereas bamboo can if it isn't taken care of properly.
However, there is a certain inflexibility in wood shakuhachi compared to bamboo. This might be
different when you look at high grade wood flutes that are hand crafted though. If it were me, I would
choose bamboo over wood any time. This is always a personal issue though, so it's difficult to get a
definitive answer to your first questions. As to whether you should purchase a smaller flute: it depends
on your use and need. Otherwise there is no particular benefit.
Finally, about the glued bamboo vs. wood: at the level of these flutes, I don't think there is a big enough
difference or benefit one way or the other.
If you are hard bent on playing a wood shakuhachi, then I think the issue is hand-crafted or machine-made.
When hand crafted, the artisan takes care of small issues of tuning and may be able to affect tonal quality
as well. With machine-made flutes, these irregularities aren't dealt with lending themselves to the
inflexibility that I spoke of.
In short, go hand-crafted by a reputable maker (person) whatever the material.
Visit poster’s website Skype
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2013-08-14, 08:09    Post subject: Maple Shakuhachi flutes Reply with quote

Hallo Jan,

i looked at the prices in your shop. The glued bamboo flutes are way to expensive for the value. They are not better then your maple one. If you want to stay with wood (they are sturdier for your cycling around) buy a hand made one as Jeff mentioned. I have good experience with Dave Brown Flutes. I played several 1.8 from him and was always satisfied. a Lot off my fellow students play one. For sturdiness you can have a look at the cast bore flutes from Monty.

If you want bamboo maybe a used one is a good choice. They are not cheap most times. Avoid eBay here. Try well known sellers who give you the chance of auditing the flute. There are several sellers here. Jeff, Perry and some more. Look in the trading thread on the forum as well

I started with a Monty flute. Then a used bamboo (Lucky me! A handpicked one from Japan. Picked by a master). And bought a Dave Brown for sturdiness and back up flute..

The length depends on your needs. Buying a good (bamboo) 1.8 is a must. Every other lengths is an add on depending where you want to go.

Don't buy to many flutes. Save money for really good ones. You wont regret it.
Visit poster’s website
Janpanam

PostPosted: 2013-08-17, 08:13    Post subject: Maple Shakuhachi flutes Reply with quote

Ok,

so you can say a further maple is a step aside not an improvement. Thank you, that helped a lot.
I will try to save up some money for a bamboo flute. Till then I stick with the Maple one.

Thanks again, have a nice day
Markus Guhe

PostPosted: 2013-08-17, 10:22    Post subject: Maple Shakuhachi flutes Reply with quote

As you're in Hamburg, have heard about this shop in Bremen? http://floeten-bau.de He makes bamboo flutes of many kinds, including shakuhachi. I haven't been there yet, so don't know anything about quality or prices.
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2013-08-17, 15:35    Post subject: Maple Shakuhachi flutes Reply with quote

Markus Guhe wrote:
As you're in Hamburg, have heard about this shop in Bremen? http://floeten-bau.de He makes bamboo flutes of many kinds, including shakuhachi. I haven't been there yet, so don't know anything about quality or prices.

On his web site he states: "Tonumfang zwischen 1 1/2 - 2 Oktaven." This is way to the low side. Not usable for an engaged player.
Visit poster’s website
Janpanam

PostPosted: 2013-08-19, 17:53    Post subject: Maple Shakuhachi flutes Reply with quote

Hi Markus,
Thanks for your tip. I appreciate that. I have already bookmarked this page for further examination

But LowBlow is right. "Tonumfang zwischen 1 1/2 - 2 Oktaven" is not acceptable. My beginner- and student maple flute gives me 2 steady octaves ( and sometimes I play the 'ha', but not on purpose ).

And the offered Shakuhachis are not dividable. I need a dividable one.

Thanks Markus. Thanks LowBlow
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 23:33    Post subject: Maple Shakuhachi flutes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation