ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Covering the holes... a point worth making.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-08-14, 09:38    Post subject: Covering the holes... a point worth making. Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
It's just something that I have become more aware of, and something that a beginner might not realise the importance of, and that is, to be careful to make sure you are covering the holes in the shakuhachi properly. Even a slight leak will make all the difference. It's worth spending a practice session concentrating on how your fingertips feel and seeing for yourself what subtle differences occur.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-08-14, 15:15    Post subject: Covering the holes... a point worth making. Reply with quote

You are absolutely right! Okay
It often occurs that the beginner can't get a sound because of a leaking hole - but the attention is 100% on the embouchure. So it is a good advise.
Check also the holes that they are not leaking anywhere - apart from also checking embouchure. Smile
Good luck to all beginners! It is a wonderful journey!
Visit poster’s website Skype
BeginnersMind0

PostPosted: 2013-08-26, 05:19    Post subject: Covering the holes... a point worth making. Reply with quote

Great point! To add emphasis to this advice... I am a seasoned western flute player who also dabbles with Irish and Baroque flute. The Shakuhachi is much more sensitive to leaks than these other flutes! I was certain I was covering all the holes but couldn't get a tone. Guess what! I wasn't covering the holes as well as I thought I was! A good way to figure out if you are covering all the holes is to start on chi and work your way down the scale, wiggling your fingers a little bit to double check their seal if you can't get a note to sound. Starting on ro can be asking for frustration.
kongwee

PostPosted: 2013-10-16, 08:01    Post subject: Covering the holes... a point worth making. Reply with quote

I tap the holes randomly to make funny water drop like sound.
Usually do it while not playing.
quite fun to hear at utaguchi.
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 22:41    Post subject: Covering the holes... a point worth making.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation