ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fingering Charts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Shakhi

PostPosted: 2013-08-14, 13:56    Post subject: Fingering Charts Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
My PVC shakuhachi arrived today. 1.8 in D root end style. I'm a total beginner to playing music and know next to nothing about musical notation. I'm learning how to hold the flute against my lips. Getting a sound out of it is somewhat hit and miss - I guess that is down to practice and I'm watching lots of YouTube videos about this.

I can get different notes by covering various holes; so am I correct in guessing the next thing to do is to learn to play scales? There are several "fingering charts" - which is the one I should start with as a total beginner?
JF Lagrost
Administrator

PostPosted: 2013-08-14, 14:57    Post subject: Fingering Charts Reply with quote

Hello Shakhi,

There are several fingering charts here, you can start with the "Very simplified chart" !
Visit poster’s website
Shakhi

PostPosted: 2013-08-14, 15:58    Post subject: Fingering Charts Reply with quote

Thank you, that is very useful. I'm getting the five different notes but need to practice them now so I can get them consistently. Smile
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2013-08-14, 18:05    Post subject: Fingering Charts Reply with quote

It is necessary that you play each note long.

Good luck. And let us know of your progress.

Okay

PostPosted: 2013-08-14, 19:17    Post subject: Fingering Charts Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll try to make each note last as long as possible. Sometimes I'm able to go up and down the scale of 5 notes easily and it sounds good; other times my fingers fumble and I make the wrong sound or the flute stop making any sounds at all apart from a hissing / whistling noise and yet other times it seems to change octave while on the same note. I need to work a lot more on my mouth shape and keeping it consistent along with the blowing. I guess it is just down to practice, practice and more practice.
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2013-08-14, 19:31    Post subject: Fingering Charts Reply with quote

It is difficult to blow exactly at the right place, to find and keep the right sound.

The sound does not come out, it hisses, it jumps abruptly on the second octave...

WELCOME! Mr. Green

PostPosted: 2013-08-14, 19:53    Post subject: Fingering Charts Reply with quote

It seems to be easier to play standing instead of sitting. Perhaps because the lungs can inflate more and be controlled better.
JF Lagrost
Administrator

PostPosted: 2013-08-14, 23:12    Post subject: Fingering Charts Reply with quote

Shakhi wrote:
the flute stop making any sounds at all apart from a hissing / whistling noise and yet other times it seems to change octave while on the same note

Sounds like if your embouchure was too much covered. Maybe you should try to play more kari.
Visit poster’s website
Shakhi

PostPosted: 2013-08-15, 15:15    Post subject: Fingering Charts Reply with quote

JF Lagrost wrote:
Shakhi wrote:
the flute stop making any sounds at all apart from a hissing / whistling noise and yet other times it seems to change octave while on the same note

Sounds like if your embouchure was too much covered. Maybe you should try to play more kari.

What is "kari". I'm a total beginner and new to all the terminology. Do you have a link please?
Eugene

PostPosted: 2013-08-15, 15:45    Post subject: Fingering Charts Reply with quote

Shakhi wrote:
What is "kari". I'm a total beginner and new to all the terminology. Do you have a link please?

David Sawyer has a shakuhachi glossary and an short essay on meri kari modulations. The terms might make more sense if you had a book (or a teacher!) that introduced them coherently rather than in glossary form though.

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered that some video by Jon Kypros concerning meri/kari came up on my Facebook newsfeed recently: Close-up of mari and kari head movements for playing shakuhachi
Visit poster’s website
Stefan Emich

PostPosted: 2013-08-15, 19:22    Post subject: Fingering Charts Reply with quote

Hello Shakhi, here are also some very helpful instructions:
http://www.kotodama.net/shakuhachi/tips.html

Edit says: I deleted one of my links, because Eugene posted it already.

Last edited by Stefan Emich on 2013-08-15, 19:51; edited 1 time in total
Shakhi

PostPosted: 2013-08-15, 19:49    Post subject: Fingering Charts Reply with quote

Thank you Eugene and Stefan for the links. Smile
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 13:56    Post subject: Fingering Charts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation