ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Syakuhachi. One for Kiku!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-08-17, 10:05    Post subject: Syakuhachi. One for Kiku! Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I came across this alternative spelling. Is it more accurate phonetically, Kiku. It does throw up a different assortment on Youtube! The 4min.21sec. film showing a vigorous player called Kenichi Tajima is a joy to behold.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-08-18, 10:45    Post subject: Syakuhachi. One for Kiku! Reply with quote

Hi Felix

The spelling you have there is a mix of styles of romanisation.
The usual one we see most is Hepburn romanisation, which is a romanisation system to transliterate Japanese words into latin spelling but based on English phonology. When using the hepburn system 尺八 will be written shakuhachi - as we see it most.

But there is another system of romanisation called kunrei-shiki romanisation. That is a cabinet-ordered or monbushō (Ministry of Education) system that is supposed to be taught in Japanese schools. But in my experience asking Japanese people most peole from 40 years old and younger have been taught the hepburn system at school. If using the kunrei system, 尺八 will be written as syakuhati.

So the word you found: Syakuhachi is a mixture of these two systems.

To me, the kunrei doesn't make sense. When thinking for whom a romanised Japanese is... well then it is not actually for the Japanese but for people who can't speak and read Japanese. So I think personally helpburn is better - although I have points of critique on hepburn.

So for most of us the most accurate pronunciation is easier obtainable with the hepburn system. Well.... except of a few points...

Hope this helps. Send us the link to the video you liked! Smile
Visit poster’s website Skype
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-08-18, 13:10    Post subject: Syakuhachi. One for Kiku! Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer, Kiku. Here he is....http://youtu.be/pLcZQH-7PS8
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-08-18, 18:08    Post subject: Syakuhachi. One for Kiku! Reply with quote

Syakuhati gets a whole other batch of Youtube results! Thanks again.
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-08-22, 00:19    Post subject: Syakuhachi. One for Kiku! Reply with quote

Still easier for anyone to read than most hankos. "Very difficult......"
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:05    Post subject: Syakuhachi. One for Kiku!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation