ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing a loud note.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-09-12, 19:12    Post subject: Playing a loud note. Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
A simple question, but I bet the answer is not so simple....Does volume come from the use of the diaphragm?
Kishi Kiyokazu
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-09-16, 17:34    Post subject: Playing a loud note. Reply with quote

Following is my theory:
Using of the diaphragm is crucial.But the diaphragm is simply a film, not a strong muscle.
So you need to inhale air in the bottom of the abdomen.
Then sustaining the abdomen muscle you need to breathe out.
In this time the abdomen muscle need a light resistance.
I make this resistance by using breast muscle slightly.
And your breath need to hit the ideal point of shakuhachi edge.
When your breath can hit the ideal point of the edge, you don't need much air.
In this time you can play one tone in ten or twenty seconds with moderate volume.
I hope this suggestion work for you.
by Kishi Kiyokazu (Japan)
I run Shakuhachi-playing-study-group(尺八吹奏研究会). I have been studying the shakuhachi and published a text book [尺八吹奏法Ⅱ]. I wish to share with pleasure of playing the shakuhachi with all of the ESS members.
Visit poster’s website
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-09-17, 11:27    Post subject: Playing a loud note. Reply with quote

The answer is simple: do Robuki... Let the wisdom of your body kick in by practicing right and practicing a lot. The physiological, intellectual understanding, is secondary.
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-09-17, 14:14    Post subject: Playing a loud note. Reply with quote

You need your entire body to make a good and loud sound, and the diaphragm is essential.
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 17:27    Post subject: Playing a loud note.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation