ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long term Hand / Wrist problems from playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō
Previous topic :: Next topic  
meoweth

PostPosted: 2013-09-14, 10:12    Post subject: Long term Hand / Wrist problems from playing Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hi, I was wondering about something. Is it bad to play bigger and bigger bass flutes that have more of a stretch?
Will this cause some kind of problems for my hand/wrists eventually? I know better to stop playing once my wrists or hand is a bit sore.
But, just wondering if over time the accumulation will cause some kind of permanent damage.

This is not a question of overplaying, but specifically about playing bass shakuhachi compared to normal ones.
I dont mean a specific size of bass shakuhachi either, I mean actually progressing and playing the lowest ones possible for my height (6 feet).
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-10-05, 16:10    Post subject: Long term Hand / Wrist problems from playing Reply with quote

I am 5 feet 3 (I have been told) or 160 cm and I can play up to 3.2 shakuhachi.
You have to be sensible when you practice on a new shakuhachi making you stretch even more than what feels natural to your body. Eventually your body will get used to it.
If it is a giant step from the length you have played, then begin just with holding the shakuhachi so the fingers do the stretch to hold the holes but not the wrist or shoulder etc. then slowly bring it to your chin. Begin with 5-10 minutes a day in the beginning or few minutes a few times a day.
As long as you are listening to your body eventually you can stretch quite a lot. The enemy here is impatience! Smile
Good luck and have fun!
Visit poster’s website Skype
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 09:53    Post subject: Long term Hand / Wrist problems from playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation