ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggested topics for short shakuhachi project at school
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-11-01, 10:31    Post subject: Suggested topics for short shakuhachi project at school Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hey Rasmus, do your mates play Hardanger fiddle or do you leave it to the Norwegians?
JF Lagrost
Administrator

PostPosted: 2013-11-01, 15:56    Post subject: Suggested topics for short shakuhachi project at school Reply with quote

Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
If someone told Yo Yo Ma, "you can't really enter the world of cello, because you are not Italian" would people consider that racist?

The real good cello masters are extra-terrestrial.

Visit poster’s website
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-11-01, 16:16    Post subject: Suggested topics for short shakuhachi project at school Reply with quote

Very funny you are!
Rasmus Fugl

PostPosted: 2013-11-05, 19:15    Post subject: Suggested topics for short shakuhachi project at school Reply with quote

felix martens wrote:
Hey Rasmus, do your mates play Hardanger fiddle or do you leave it to the Norwegians?

I've never even heard of the instrument
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-11-05, 19:34    Post subject: Suggested topics for short shakuhachi project at school Reply with quote

Hi Rasmus, I mentioned it as an example of a strong musical tradition in Europe. The Norwegians play it as a national institution. The fiddle itself is understrung which gives it a unique sound, and is beautifully ornamented. If you haven't heard of it and you're into traditional music you may find it interesting. Again it is accessible to the outsider but the traditions are strong.
Good luck with your assignment, by the way.
Felix.
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-11-05, 22:58    Post subject: Suggested topics for short shakuhachi project at school Reply with quote

There are fantastic Hardanger fiddle players and makers here in Australia.
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-11-06, 00:17    Post subject: Suggested topics for short shakuhachi project at school Reply with quote

And I dare say some shakuhachi makers too.
jamesnyman

PostPosted: 2013-11-06, 18:15    Post subject: Suggested topics for short shakuhachi project at school Reply with quote

I am truly sorry that I used the term "racist" in my original post...exclusionary might have been a better choice. I, too, am guilty of being exclusionary in that I have only bought bamboo shakuhachi from American makers...Monty Levenson, Perry Yung, Jon Kypros and Ken LaCosse...in an attempt to support the American shakuhachi community. It appears that the pot should not call the kettle black and for that I apologize Felix.

PostPosted: 2013-11-06, 20:00    Post subject: Suggested topics for short shakuhachi project at school Reply with quote

Hi James,as Brian says, it's the banter of a forum. If I came back too abruptly then I too apologise. Glad to see you didn't disappear!! But hey, that was an interesting exchange all in all. Let's do it again!!!
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-11-06, 23:34    Post subject: Suggested topics for short shakuhachi project at school Reply with quote

It's OK and this kind of discussion is appropriate in a forum of international players.

Has anyone read Takamura Kôtarô's "A Green Sun"? He was a Japanese writer/visual artist who went to France to study and absorbed some of the avant-garde Western concepts of the time (1910). But in the end he decides he can't lose his Japanese nature and everything he does is still refracted through that prism. Maybe that's relevant.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-11-07, 15:23    Post subject: Suggested topics for short shakuhachi project at school Reply with quote

James, no problem at all. Some times you have to use the word that actually say what it is..... but sometimes it is not always perhaps the best strategic thing to do! This happens to me all the time. Smile
There is one aspect of buying from US makers. They speak English! That is a good reason. I suppose that is why I so often play middleman for Chiku Za and also for people who want to meet Okuda and others in Japan.
Visit poster’s website Skype
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-11-07, 16:36    Post subject: Suggested topics for short shakuhachi project at school Reply with quote

[quote="jamesnyman"] I, too, am guilty of being exclusionary in that I have only bought bamboo shakuhachi from American makers...Monty Levenson, Perry Yung, Jon Kypros and Ken LaCosse...in an attempt to support the American shakuhachi community.

This raises another interesting point, James. I have a feeling that Brian will have a view on this but here goes! I started on a plastic shakuhachi from the Abbott clan (and the amazing little book by yer man Carl), then I got one of Monty Levenson's advanced student shakuhachis, but when I felt the time was right I decided to look for a "proper" root end shakuhachi, and right or wrong I decided that it absolutely had to be second-hand and Japanese. I somehow in my own mind had to own at least one Japanese shakuhachi, which had been played in Japan, and I love it. I also have an excellent "western shakuhachi" made by Perry Yung which, likewise, you'll have to tear "from my cold, dead hand". This is not an insult to non Japanese shakuhachi makers but a nod on my part to tradition.
OK, Brian, I've got a large crash helmet on!
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-11-08, 00:17    Post subject: Suggested topics for short shakuhachi project at school Reply with quote

I think people should play whatever shakuhachi they want for whatever reason they want. I play jinashi, jiari, Japanese, American, Australian, plastic, wood, bamboo, seaweed.

Some people think it's good to support living makers, so the tradition can continue. I do, but don't differentiate between Japanese and other.

We should play the flutes we like to play.

Okay
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:14    Post subject: Suggested topics for short shakuhachi project at school

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation