ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short flute, long flute.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-11-12, 20:12    Post subject: Short flute, long flute. Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
What are the main differences in playing technique between the standard 1.8 shakuhachi and the longer 2.6,2.7, etc. Are they another breed altogether or is it experience that counts?
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-11-13, 16:58    Post subject: Re: Short flute, long flute. Reply with quote

felix martens wrote:
What are the main differences in playing technique between the standard 1.8 shakuhachi and the longer 2.6,2.7, etc. Are they another breed altogether or is it experience that counts?

Hi Felix,

There are certainly different ways to approach playing different length flutes. For long flutes, the main thing is being able to reach the finger holes and applying fingering techniques without gripping or using awkward hand positions that can hurt or cause issues. For myself, I can't play flutes longer than an 3.1 comfortably because the extended bottom hand creates a constriction in the movement of my neck.

In general, however, I think one should have an idea of the sound that they like and a strong technique for producing it consistently. Once you apply that to playing any length flute, you will make the necessary adjustments required and decide whether it is a struggle or easier to get your sound.

Experience counts Wink

Cheers, Perry
Visit poster’s website
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-11-13, 18:07    Post subject: Short flute, long flute. Reply with quote

Hi felix, the vreathing technique differs to some extent when playing longer flutes.
Visit poster’s website Skype
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-11-13, 23:08    Post subject: Short flute, long flute. Reply with quote

Thanks Perry and Kiku! So the main obstacle is the physical ability of the player, in terms of being able to cope with the size of the flute. Though I'd be interested to know more about the differences in breathing technique, Kiku.
The sounds produced are so very mellow, and am I right in thinking that the larger flutes are a recent development?
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-11-14, 02:38    Post subject: Short flute, long flute. Reply with quote

felix martens wrote:
Thanks Perry and Kiku! So the main obstacle is the physical ability of the player, in terms of being able to cope with the size of the flute. Though I'd be interested to know more about the differences in breathing technique, Kiku.
The sounds produced are so very mellow, and am I right in thinking that the larger flutes are a recent development?

Long flutes are a recent development. But many players in Japan including my teacher Kinya Sogawa and his teacher's teacher Watazumi were not very mellow.

Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-11-14, 06:36    Post subject: Short flute, long flute. Reply with quote

The popularity of long flutes is relatively recent, but long flutes have been around for a long time. I have a 2.7 Edo shakuhachi which is probably 200 years old. There was an exhibit of VERY long flutes at the Kyoto festival that were close to 100 years old and are longer than anything almost anybody plays today.

The technique involved is not more or less difficult, just different. As Perry mentioned fingering is an issue and everybody has a limit to what they can hold or how big a hole their fingers can close. The blowing part is just a matter of practice. In some ways it's easier to play long flutes than short ones.

Here's a pic of Peter Hill playing my Edo 2.7.

felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-11-15, 00:20    Post subject: Short flute, long flute. Reply with quote

Fantastic video,Perry. There's a man who suffers for his art! Yeah, with the mellow comes a rawness. Do the longer flutes represent now a Watazumi-fuelled exploration of a more raw and "natural" sound?
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2013-11-15, 17:48    Post subject: Short flute, long flute. Reply with quote

felix martens wrote:
Fantastic video,Perry. There's a man who suffers for his art! Yeah, with the mellow comes a rawness. Do the longer flutes represent now a Watazumi-fuelled exploration of a more raw and "natural" sound?

Kinya always rattles the room ;)

I'm not sure what longer flutes represent to others since many are made and played outside of his way. For me, playing in the Watazumi way is inspired by his term Hochiku - Darma Bamboo. It's a personal exploration involving spirituality, philosophy, art and music.... and personal truth.

Hmmm, which one should I work on today ;)

Yes, I remember that 2.7 Brian. A beauty. Never saw another one like it since .
Visit poster’s website
Christian

PostPosted: 2016-11-28, 03:07    Post subject: Short flute, long flute. Reply with quote

Perry Yung wrote:
felix martens wrote:

Long flutes are a recent development. But many players in Japan including my teacher Kinya Sogawa and his teacher's teacher Watazumi were not very mellow.

Thanks for sharing this video Perry, I'm thoroughly enjoying my exploration with my 2.6 - I find we are doing all sorts of interesting things together Smile
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 20:41    Post subject: Short flute, long flute.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation