ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Notation software
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Roban Beuran

PostPosted: 2014-01-12, 12:14    Post subject: Notation software Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hi Felix,

Thanks for your feedback. While I initially wrote ShakuViewer in order to convert Western musical notation to shakuhachi one, I agree that some people may want to skip the Western notation in order to use the program as a shakuhachi notation software directly. Hence, there is already some basic support for creating scores by using a text file. For instance, you could write something like:
| ro tsu re chi |
in a file, and this file will be displayed as the corresponding Tozan shakuhachi notation in ShakuViewer. Please see the ShakuViewer documentation for details, but note that this "format" (called ShakuScript) is still experimental and will evolve as I add more features.

As for Kinko support, I am already working on adding this at least from the font point of view, by using the font created by H. Tachibana for a MuseScore plugin that shows shakuhachi notation underneath the Western one directly in MuseScore: http://musescore.org/en/project/shakuhachi

Regarding the program mentioned by Michael, all I can think of is a shakuhachi tuner which will show you the pitch in shakuhachi notation when you play a sound in front of the mike (but not create scores as I believe you intend to do); you can download the tuner software from this page: http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2014-01-12, 13:32    Post subject: Notation software Reply with quote

Just tried it on a Linux System. Running on Opensuse 13.1 ok.
Visit poster’s website
felix martens

PostPosted: 2014-01-12, 14:06    Post subject: Notation software Reply with quote

Cheers Roban. Yes, I already use the tuner and I was thinking that you meant direct to notation from Japanese notation recognition, like the tuner but writing as you go. It would be a useful compositional tool, as opposed to "traditional" stop-start writing. But then again handwriting the notation is good practice! (Though I probably write like a 5 year old Japanese child!)
Michael stJohn Hartley

PostPosted: 2014-01-13, 11:27    Post subject: Notation software Reply with quote

@ Felix. I sure appreciate the work you are putting into this! Great support fot me, and the Shaku community.
Visit poster’s website
Roban Beuran

PostPosted: 2014-01-13, 13:07    Post subject: Notation software Reply with quote

@LowBlow: Thanks for the confirmation about Linux, I develop the software on Mac OS X so now I am not sure only if it's working fine on Windows as well.

@ Felix: ShakuViewer is not so much intended for composition, for which I also use handwriting as you say. But once you finished the composition the software could be a nice way to typeset your work, and distribute it to others if you want, without being "ashamed" of your handwriting Smile
felix martens

PostPosted: 2014-01-13, 17:17    Post subject: Notation software Reply with quote

Michael stJohn Hartley wrote:
@ Felix. I sure appreciate the work you are putting into this! Great support fot me, and the Shaku community.

Not quite sure where you are coming from.
felix martens

PostPosted: 2014-01-13, 17:26    Post subject: Notation software Reply with quote

You meant to write Roban?
Michael stJohn Hartley

PostPosted: 2014-01-28, 19:56    Post subject: Notation software Reply with quote

oops!
@Roban!!. I sure appreciate the work you are putting into this! Great support for me, and the Shakuhachi community.
Visit poster’s website
Roban Beuran

PostPosted: 2014-01-31, 05:47    Post subject: Notation software Reply with quote

@Michael: Thanks for your encouragement! In a couple of weeks I shall release a new version, that even includes some basic Kinko support in terms of pitch representation.
Roban Beuran

PostPosted: 2014-02-25, 11:40    Post subject: Notation software Reply with quote

As promised, the new release of my conversion software from Western to shakuhachi notation, ShakuViewer v0.3, is available for download. Please see the following page for details:
http://sites.google.com/site/razvanswebsite/shakuhachi/software

The main changes are listed below:
* Improvement of the annotation procedure for representing different tone colors
* Basic support for Kinko notation through the use of fonts created by Hiroshi Tachibana and Hiro Kisai Sato
* Simultaneous display of up to two parts for multiple-part scores
* User interface can now be configured to be either in English or in Japanese language
* Facilitate score display with a MuseScore plugin

To illustrate what the output of ShakuViewer looks like I included the first page of "Haru no umi":
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:14    Post subject: Notation software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation