ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing guides with Audio CD
Goto page: 1, 2  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
kongwee

PostPosted: 2013-11-24, 08:42    Post subject: Playing guides with Audio CD Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I have Masayuki Koga's Shakuhachi Japanese Bamboo Flute.
I wish to look out for more such books like this. Or just Audio CD with scores.
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2013-11-24, 10:12    Post subject: Playing guides with Audio CD Reply with quote

Bruce Huebner: Kinko Shakuhachi for beginners. Scores and DVD (Vol. 1).
Vol. 2 and 3 as well.
Visit poster’s website
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2013-11-24, 10:14    Post subject: Playing guides with Audio CD Reply with quote

Yoshinobu Taniguchi: How to play shakuhachi. book and CD
Visit poster’s website
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2013-11-24, 10:17    Post subject: Playing guides with Audio CD Reply with quote

Carl Abbott: Blowing Zen, one breath one mind.
: Blowing Zen II
Visit poster’s website
Stefan Emich

PostPosted: 2013-11-24, 11:18    Post subject: Playing guides with Audio CD Reply with quote

Shakuhachi Koten Honkyoku: Practice, Techniques, Fingering charts and Cds by Katsuya Yokoyama.

PostPosted: 2013-11-24, 14:31    Post subject: Playing guides with Audio CD Reply with quote

LowBlow wrote:

I own this one. Although it is a great book, I think it's more an intermediate level while Masayuki Koga's is a "step by step" from beginners to intermediate level.

Maybe Kongwee can enlighten us on, say, what level he is expecting from the book he plan to buy in order to avoid frustration Question

There's so many books for so many purposes

Aldous Huxley
kongwee

PostPosted: 2013-11-24, 14:50    Post subject: Playing guides with Audio CD Reply with quote

Nicolas Delhez wrote:
LowBlow wrote:

I own this one. Although it is a great book, I think it's more an intermediate level while Masayuki Koga's is a "step by step" from beginners to intermediate level.

Maybe Kongwee can enlighten us on, say, what level he is expecting from the book he plan to buy in order to avoid frustration Question

There's so many books for so many purposes

Mostly those material that continue from the book that I have. Not looking at mediation at the moment. Material that I can follow audio and visually with scores. Of course some explanation of technique will be good.
Nicolas Delhez

PostPosted: 2013-11-24, 16:47    Post subject: Playing guides with Audio CD Reply with quote

kongwee wrote:

Mostly those material that continue from the book that I have. Not looking at mediation at the moment. Material that I can follow audio and visually with scores. Of course some explanation of technique will be good.

If you have learned most parts of the excellent book from Masayuki Koga, you can go for Yoshinobu Taniguchi: How to play shakuhachi. book and CD LowBlow was pointing out. You can learn lots of useful stuff like different fingerings with same pitch, the notes with western notations, sound techniques like CHI - RU -TSU -RU, two basic fingerings charts (which you probably know) and in section 2 different basic techniques like Nayashi and in which score you can find it. For the scores you'll find Edo no komori uta, Honshirabe, Tamuke and Shika no tone. All of this only available for book 1.

Although LowBlow is reffering to a cd, I do not remember having one with the book.

Aldous Huxley
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2013-11-24, 17:34    Post subject: Playing guides with Audio CD Reply with quote

Nicolas Delhez wrote:

Although LowBlow is reffering to a cd, I do not remember having one with the book.

I have the CD at hand. I don't remember it the CD comes with the book or was ordered separatly.
Visit poster’s website
Nicolas Delhez

PostPosted: 2013-11-24, 20:48    Post subject: Playing guides with Audio CD Reply with quote

LowBlow wrote:
Nicolas Delhez wrote:

I have the CD at hand. I don't remember it the CD comes with the book or was ordered separatly.

At least, the cd does exist! But my book came with no cd. I didn't even know there was one as it is never reffered to in the book.

Note for kongwee, be sure your book comes with the cd Idea

Aldous Huxley
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2013-11-24, 22:40    Post subject: Playing guides with Audio CD Reply with quote

Nicolas Delhez wrote:
LowBlow wrote:
Nicolas Delhez wrote:

At least, the cd does exist! But my book came with no cd. I didn't even know there was one as it is never reffered to in the book.

Note for kongwee, be sure your book comes with the cd Idea

Just looked it up at Monty's Site. Book comes with CD!
Visit poster’s website
kongwee

PostPosted: 2013-11-25, 05:20    Post subject: Playing guides with Audio CD Reply with quote

Thanks you guys for help.
I forget to mention I need the guilds to be mostly play on standard 1.8 shakuhachi.

Yoshinobu Taniguchi: How to play shakuhachi. book and CD will be the must have.I will be ordering Masayuki Koga Sankyo Series Music sheet as it has the 5 sankyoku pieces is not found on my current book/CD. I can't find the info about LowBlow CD.
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2013-11-25, 10:14    Post subject: Playing guides with Audio CD Reply with quote

kongwee wrote:

I can't find the info about LowBlow CD.

The book is listed with CD at Monty's site:

quoted from his site:
"Yoshinobu Taniguchi, HOW TO PLAY THE SHAKUHACHI: A Guide to the Japanese Bamboo Flute (with CD) PG-2 $32.50"
Visit poster’s website
Nicolas Delhez

PostPosted: 2013-11-25, 10:21    Post subject: Playing guides with Audio CD Reply with quote

Hi Kongwee and LowBlow,

I got it, we're speaking of two different books. The one I own is "How to play classical shakuhachi - Book 1" from Yoshinobu Taniguchi & Michael Gould, the one LowBlow speaks of is "How to play the shakuhachi : A guide to the japanese bamboo flute" which is effectively sold with a cd.

Fault is mine Embarassed

Kongwee be careful if you wish a more oriented Honkyoku book or not. The first one is Honkyoku, the one LowBlow own is probably not.

LowBlow, what can you tell us about your book? Is it more or less the same as Masayuki Koga's?

Wish you the best

Aldous Huxley
kongwee

PostPosted: 2013-11-25, 11:19    Post subject: Playing guides with Audio CD Reply with quote

Nicolas Delhez wrote:
Hi Kongwee and LowBlow,

I got it, we're speaking of two different books. The one I own is "How to play classical shakuhachi - Book 1" from Yoshinobu Taniguchi & Michael Gould, the one LowBlow speaks of is "How to play the shakuhachi : A guide to the japanese bamboo flute" which is effectively sold with a cd.

Fault is mine Embarassed

Kongwee be careful if you wish a more oriented Honkyoku book or not. The first one is Honkyoku, the one LowBlow own is probably not.

LowBlow, what can you tell us about your book? Is it more or less the same as Masayuki Koga's?

Wish you the best

Both book are fine, the most important thing they have audio CD. Masayuki Koga one is more classical. But limited to beginner folk song.It has sankyoku pieces but no audio. It has honkyoku explanation but no examples.
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 14:03    Post subject: Playing guides with Audio CD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: 1, 2  >
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation