ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preventative Bindings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Erin

PostPosted: 2013-12-19, 22:50    Post subject: Preventative Bindings Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
What are your thoughts on removing 'preventative' bindings?

Obviously the binder thought there was a risk of the bamboo cracking hence the bindings over an area where there is no existing crack.

I prefer my flutes with minimal extras so normally would not request binding unless the flute was already displaying signs of a crack starting. I'm getting a flute that has quite a few bindings covering over half the flute with no crack whatsoever in that area. So, if I took the chance and removed those bindings would I suddenly be tempting fate? Would I hear 'crack!" in the middle of the night some time after my rash de-binding of the flute?

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2013-12-20, 03:03    Post subject: Preventative Bindings Reply with quote

My philosophy is wait for it to crack and then bind it. Unless there are already hairline cracks, then get it bound as a precautionary measure. Rolling Eyes
jamesnyman

PostPosted: 2013-12-20, 19:48    Post subject: Preventative Bindings Reply with quote

Obviously, binding is a matter of personal preference unless the shakuhachi has already cracked. I do preventative bindings on all my shakuhachi because of the climate here in Texas. In 10 years I have never had a flute crack in reasonable indoor and outdoor use. I keep most of my shakuhachi out in the open in my house, but put them in moisture proof bags when I transport them outside. In one case, I removed the bindings done by the maker before I bought the flute. It remained unbound for several months before I rebound it. No cracks appeared. I use very thin high tensile strength fishing line called PowerPro for my bindings. It does not bother me either visually or tactility and gives me peace of mind. I doubt your shakuhachi would suddenly "explode" given the rather damp climate in British Columbia.

PostPosted: 2013-12-21, 06:03    Post subject: Preventative Bindings Reply with quote

Yes climate is an important factor. When I moved to Australia, Riley Lee said not to worry about bindings if you live near the coast.
Erin

PostPosted: 2013-12-24, 23:08    Post subject: Preventative Bindings Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback. Okay
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 06:43    Post subject: Preventative Bindings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation