ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nayashi
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2014-02-06, 08:30    Post subject: Nayashi Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Justin Senryu wrote:
LowBlow wrote:
Hi Justin,

Justin Senryu wrote:
nowadays people habitually put a breath before a nayashi.

I did not understand this part. This will ruin every phrase with a nayashi in it. If we talk about the same thing. When a nayashi is writen direct behind the note or within a row of notes for accentuation people breath?

Hi LowBlow,
Do you study Kinko Ryu honkyoku? I was specifically talking about Kinko Ryu when making that statement. In this context, whether the phrase is 'ruined' or not depends on how you feel about it. Most Kinko Ryu players would not consider it ruined, because that is how they learned it, and so they feel it is 'correct'. And so, for their schools, it is correct, not ruined. Certainly it is different than not taking the breath. So perhaps we can call it 'changed', rather than 'ruined'. This is a part of the slowing down process of the Kinko Ryu honkyoku over time. They used to be played a lot faster. Actually so did most, if not all of the honkyoku. I can see this clearly at least in Kinko Ryu, Seien Ryu, Shimpo Ryu/Kichiku Ryu, Kimpu Ryu (aka Nezasa Ha), and Oshu Kei. That covers almost all the extant ancient honkyoku. Kyushu is a little more mysterious as we have fewer old sources so it is more difficult to trace - but it is anyhow clear there is this overall trend, and adding breaths before nayashi in Kinko Ryu is a part of that trend.

Thank you Justin for the explanation. I am really surprised. I stand corrected. All that differnces from school to school! Confusing.
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 01:02    Post subject: Nayashi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation