ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blowing Ro.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
felix martens

PostPosted: 2014-01-23, 10:46    Post subject: Blowing Ro. Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I've been finding practice time hard to find, so have each day gone straight to pieces I am learning or know, rather than start with a session on Ro. Should blowing Ro be my first consideration? Is it better to do long note sessions high and low? Does that improve "stamina" in respect of the embouchure? I know that the thing that sometimes brings my practice to a halt is "tired" embouchure.
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2014-01-23, 12:46    Post subject: Blowing Ro. Reply with quote

1 YES Start with Ro to warm up. Done every time you start, the sound of you ro will show you a lot about your mental condition. 2 YES in kan. 3 Yes long tone sessions in kan improved my emboucher a lot.
Visit poster’s website
kongwee

PostPosted: 2014-01-23, 15:08    Post subject: Blowing Ro. Reply with quote

I will cycle three register of Ro to find my emboucher every practice time.
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2014-01-23, 21:49    Post subject: Blowing Ro. Reply with quote

It is a universally accepted fact on all wind instruments that long tones are the best way to improve your sound.
RimBlown

PostPosted: 2014-01-24, 16:18    Post subject: Blowing Ro. Reply with quote

When I played another wind instrument, I wasn't "allowed" to do anything else on the instrument until I played an entire page of long tones (different notes in different range) Each note held for 16 counts to a metronome. If I didn't attack the note exactly on the click, I had to start again. Had to end on the click too. Develop embouchure, control, and internalize rhythm. If I didn't make it to the end, I had to start again or speed up the metronome and keep practicing until I could play the entire phrase at the required slow tempo. And I didn't practice long tones until I could hold a small piece of paper against a wall with my breath for a required count. If you don't develop a good sound, strong embouchure and the proper breathing, does it matter what piece you play, how complex, if the sound that the notes ride on is weak?

It takes a great deal of discipline to do this regularly at the beginning because you feel you are loosing out on learning pieces, scales and musical concepts.

Said another way, paint the fence, wax the car before you try the fancy shakuhachi kung fu. Mr. Miyagi knew what he was doing.

What you learn from this discipline will carry over to everything else and you don't have to do it for the rest of your life. On the other hand, A great wind player can take their instrument out without any kind of warm up and wail. It's not ideal but once these things become automatic, it can be done. For some, long tone practice becomes a crutch. They can't play without relying on a long warm up.

You might be surprised how much you can accomplish in a 1/2 hour of focused practice every day. People play an instrument for years often before they decide that they really want to learn how to play and do what it takes. Why waste time.
felix martens

PostPosted: 2014-01-26, 00:53    Post subject: Blowing Ro. Reply with quote

Long tones it is then!
Thanks for the replies.
Erin

PostPosted: 2014-02-03, 01:37    Post subject: Blowing Ro. Reply with quote

I love long tones!
Besides some work on long tones daily on my 1.8 as a warmup as suggested here, I also play an hour of long tones on my 2.6 once a week with my shaku pals. I think over time this weekly long tones session on the long flute has added to embouchure's endurance when I play my 1.8.
Regan Van Veen

PostPosted: 2014-02-03, 02:00    Post subject: Blowing Ro. Reply with quote

RimBlown wrote:
For some, long tone practice becomes a crutch. They can't play without relying on a long warm up.

Maybe to avoid this, if you are doing long tone practice every day, don't always do it as a warm up, or to start your practice. Try every second day doing the long tone practice at the end of your practice, or in the middle. This may also help develop embouchure in a different way because you will be starting your long tone practice with your embouchure muscles already fatigued from your normal practice.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2014-02-04, 15:36    Post subject: Blowing Ro. Reply with quote

A very good advice, Regan! Okay
Visit poster’s website Skype
Laurent

PostPosted: 2014-12-17, 15:22    Post subject: Blowing Ro. Reply with quote

Thank You for those precious Informations.
Realy thanks a lot Very Happy
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 11:50    Post subject: Blowing Ro.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation