ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holiday Flute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Fiona Dawes

PostPosted: 2014-01-28, 02:27    Post subject: Holiday Flute Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
The Practice Flute

Last year I commissioned a flute from Ken La Cosse, Mujitsu Shakuhachi. I wanted a lightweight flute to carry and fit in my bag, to have available for opportunistic practice, perhaps 10 minutes here and there.

The 1.6 that arrived is great for practice!

When I first got the flute my level of accomplishment was the main issue; it was easier to play the 1.8 and 2.0 and achieve some flexibility alternating between. Last week I took the 1.6 on holiday and I had a great time exploring.

What I liked most is the way more was demanded from my practice, especially in the somewhat public environment of my holiday accommodation. Playing quietly is not easy but there was a lot in there to reward the effort.

It is possible that in the process of commissioning the flute there was a happy misunderstanding; I wanted a flute I could pick up with ease. I got a flute that is unique and one that provided an excellent practice session, and with the new flute, perhaps a re-connection with beginner's mind.
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2014-01-30, 19:53    Post subject: Holiday Flute Reply with quote

Hi Fiona,

Sometimes the fate decides to bring small changes to what we had planned.

And it is sometimes better that for what we waited. Very Happy

I'm happy for you. Okay

PostPosted: 2014-01-31, 02:11    Post subject: Holiday Flute Reply with quote

Hi Plume,

Thank You, sometimes better for sure.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2014-01-31, 14:22    Post subject: Holiday Flute Reply with quote

Nice story, Fiona
A shakuhachi journey often brings about many surprises. Okay
Visit poster’s website Skype
Erin

PostPosted: 2014-02-03, 01:11    Post subject: Holiday Flute Reply with quote

Interesting outcome to your commission request, Fiona. So, in what way was the 1.6 that you received different from what you expected?

I get the impression that it turned out to be 'harder to play' than you first envisioned. Of course, harder to play is so relative to where we are at in our practice and skill level. Over time, what was once harder to play for me sometimes turns out to be more interesting and a broader textured sounding flute than it seemed to be when I first got the instrument.
Fiona Dawes

PostPosted: 2014-02-07, 11:10    Post subject: Holiday Flute Reply with quote

Hi Erin,

It was a good outcome, a good experience! When I commissioned the flute I could not justify buying another flute; based on my commitment to practice and the number of pieces I have committed to memory, 1.  

How to buy a new flute? You can see my dilemma. 

So I asked a flute maker, Ken La Cosse (...it was cheeky), to make a low cost flute with entirely functional specifications, easy to carry, easy to have to hand... So I guess there was a lot of room for surprise. The fact that it was harder to play was not surprising, it was like you say, the revelations of texture, especially in the quiet notes that I found surprising.   
Erin

PostPosted: 2014-02-09, 01:48    Post subject: Holiday Flute Reply with quote

I like cheeky justifications for getting another flute!

Good story; good outcome!

So how short is the flute then... 1.6... or is it longer with a joint built in? I may have a reason to buy a short portable flute from Ken too! LOL! But I know now that it might come with its own shakuhachi sergant built in!
Fiona Dawes

PostPosted: 2014-02-09, 12:37    Post subject: Holiday Flute Reply with quote

Erin,

I would agree with you but have had my lesson today and now, I know nothing. 

Having said that,

I gather that you have a new flute! The traditional tunings present another challenge. 

Long tones….

Regards.
Fiona Dawes

PostPosted: 2014-02-13, 12:09    Post subject: Holiday Flute Reply with quote

What I mean to say...

When I had my lesson with Riley I learned that I was essentially 'cruising' on the uta guchi . Perhaps a practice habit I developed, so a lot of whistling tones while I settled into the phrase and breath instead of no sound- sound. 

So I dispensed with the idea that any particular flute could be instructive. I do like my 1.6.

Bows
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 17:31    Post subject: Holiday Flute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation