ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Practicing with a spectrograph

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō
Previous topic :: Next topic  
No-sword

PostPosted: 2014-02-03, 01:59    Post subject: Practicing with a spectrograph Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Shakuhachi players are often advised to practice with a tuner when working on pitch, but has anyone else found a spectrograph useful for timbre?

I downloaded a very simple iOS app called, er, "Spectrograph", and it is a helpful visual aid when working on my embouchure. There's a difference of course in that there is more likely to be a single correct pitch than a single correct timbre in a given context, but I found it quite illuminating to see the difference in timbre broken down into partials, and it has helped me to be more conscious of my tone in general. I would be interested to hear if anyone else here has tried this and/or have any useful advice in this area, especially makers.
Visit poster’s website
JF Lagrost
Administrator

PostPosted: 2014-02-03, 10:13    Post subject: Practicing with a spectrograph Reply with quote

I personally use these kind of tools (tuner and spectrogram) occasionally with my students to help to realize of a component of a sound (pitch, timbre). And it's quite effective. The aim is to hear things you didn't hear before, and to do as quick as possible without these "technological crutches". I advise them to use in their practice, but very sparingly and always with a listening ear. The risk is obviously to make the eyes work more than ears... and to forget that sound aesthetic is not measurable. I think iOS "Trace Tuner" is a good app for tone stability and timbre (very simple and cheap app).
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 11:14    Post subject: Practicing with a spectrograph

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation