ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Self-Introduction!
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Joachim Paul

PostPosted: 2015-02-13, 19:13    Post subject: Self-Introduction! Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hi to all, I am a beginner when it comes to shakuhachi but a hobby-musician since 49 years, playing everthing you can blow in.
Starting with clarinet at 9, coz we had one at home, although my dream was the concert flute. My dad said: earn money and buy one. So I started saxophone, we had at home as well, and earned money playing in several bands. I bought the flute at 15 and played it for more than 25 years.
Time to change. I started Tuba - yes ! - while living in Manila for quiet some time. Now, retired, it is time to go back to the beginning and do more meditation again. And why not while plying music, which will be the big challenge for the years to come. I believe the shakuhachi is the right choice for this adventure.
I'm going to start my journey very soon with a teacher living not to far.

In case of questions I do not hesitate to contact all of you. Very Happy
Visit poster’s website
Peter Schreiber

PostPosted: 2015-02-13, 22:29    Post subject: Self-Introduction! Reply with quote

Willkommen im Forum, lieber Joachim! Die Shakuhachi ist wirklich ein Garant für ein Abenteuer, aber auch für eine spannende, manchmal frustrierende, oft aufregende nie aber langweilige Reise. Ich habe wenig Ahnung von Musik (ein bisl Klavier, Gitarre und NAF aber das war's auch schon) aber habe durch die Shakuhachi unfassbar viel in recht kurzer Zeit gelernt...vor allem über mich. Very Happy
Ich wünsche Dir also auch viel Spaß bei dieser Reise und freue mich von Dir hier zu lesen!

Viele Grüße aus Oldenburg!
Joachim Paul

PostPosted: 2015-02-13, 22:39    Post subject: Self-Introduction! Reply with quote

Danke Peter. Werde gerne berichten.

Grüße aus Aschaffenburg
Visit poster’s website
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2015-02-14, 12:20    Post subject: Self-Introduction! Reply with quote

Welcome Joachim on the road to the Shakuhachi. Very Happy

PostPosted: 2015-02-15, 03:08    Post subject: Self-Introduction! Reply with quote

Herzlich Willkommen Joachim!
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2015-02-15, 04:41    Post subject: Self-Introduction! Reply with quote

Jane, where is the pdf file?
Visit poster’s website Skype
janeinjapan

PostPosted: 2015-03-10, 16:10    Post subject: Self-Introduction! Reply with quote

Hi Kiku, sorry I only just noticed your message. I've attempted to attach it again. The site is telling me to insert this link - hopefully this works! http://www.sendspace.com/file/trdaqq

EDIT: Or perhaps rather than using that third party website, it might be easier to view it from my google drive. Let me know which is easier! https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7v2wB9PuPJSVHpva3dXNWRJbFE/view?usp=shari…
janeinjapan

PostPosted: 2015-03-10, 16:36    Post subject: Self-Introduction! Reply with quote

I feel that I need to share that I have been absent from this forum for the past few months because of my change in jobs and countries. I finished my former job in Japan last year in July, and then hung around in August to take the Tozan-ryu Jun-Shihan test (which thankfully I passed). Then I went home to Australia for a few months and neglected my shakuhachi playing for a while. Now I'm back in Japan again, in a new and better job. So my focus on playing and practicing has resumed! I feel a renewed sense of enjoyment when playing, which is a nice feeling (compared to the stress when I was practicing for my test).
I'm now living in Hiroshima Prefecture, and currently looking for a new teacher with the assistance of my former teacher. I also hope to be able to attend some music events/concerts in southern Japan, so I'll be keeping an eye out for any information.
Anyway, it's nice to be back!

And hello Joachim! It's nice to meet other enthusiasts!
Eugene

PostPosted: 2015-03-11, 17:11    Post subject: Self-Introduction! Reply with quote

Congratulations, Jane! That's absolute beginner to jun shihan in less than two years?
Visit poster’s website
Jam

PostPosted: 2015-03-11, 17:30    Post subject: Self-Introduction! Reply with quote

Sorry Jane, I should have said hello to you too!

Jun shihan in a couple of years? That's very impressive! Is that Tozan ryu? As a Kinko player myself I have no idea how the Tozan side of things work, did you have to do lots of tests? I believe that Tozan requires a lot of theory knowledge as well as playing skill/experience?

Sorry for all the questions Smile
janeinjapan

PostPosted: 2015-03-12, 13:56    Post subject: Self-Introduction! Reply with quote

Thanks! Yes, that was in less than two years, but I still only feel like a beginner, especially compared to others who have been playing for longer than my lifetime. I feel that my tonality is still poor - I want to have a richer timbre, if that makes sense.

Passing the test wasn't easy - it required a lot of preparation and study (and money)!

The jun-shihan test is quite comprehensive; it includes music theory (including koto and shamisen), shakuhachi history, Tozan-ryu history and corporate structure, recognising song names and composers visually and audibly, melodic dictation, composition, transcribing keys, singing a melody of a song while tapping out the rhythm, and of course, playing a few pieces (honkyoku, shinkyoku etc). I might have missed some elements, but that's what I can remember right now.

It was a huge relief to pass the test, though from what I gather, nearly everyone who takes the jun-shihan passes. From what I understand, the shihan test only requires playing and there's no theory part, however it is much more difficult to pass.

What about Kinko? Do they have tests? I have absolutely no knowledge about it, other than the shakuhachi have different shaped utaguchi Smile
Jam

PostPosted: 2015-03-16, 14:11    Post subject: Self-Introduction! Reply with quote

I know all about wanting a richer timbre!

The school I'm a part of works like this:

http://nipponicom.com/shakuhachi/index.php?ChikumeishaEU

I've never taken any tests, though I would like to, I've been playing 9 years and have played a lot of the sankyoku, and a fair few honkyoku too.

It's interesting how different the schools are in this respect. While I would love to have some official qualifications I have a long way to go!
janeinjapan

PostPosted: 2015-03-31, 13:53    Post subject: Self-Introduction! Reply with quote

Hi Jam, thanks for sharing the link. It's interesting to compare the two. It looks like the licence levels require a lot of mastery, which is good. It's also interesting to see which pieces are played by both schools. I'm never quite sure which piece belongs to which school, apart from the original honkyoku pieces. I'm always learning when it comes to the shakuhachi and traditional music!
Daniel Ryudo
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2015-04-03, 07:07    Post subject: Self-Introduction! Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Joachim Paul. It sounds like you already have a lot of experience with various wind instruments; many people seem to find their way to shakuhachi after starting with sax, flute, clarinet or other instruments. In my case it was cornet and French horn before discovering the bamboo flute. As for Jane's question about Kinko, the branch of Kinko that I study, called Chikudosha, seems to quite similar to the Chikumeisha group mentioned by Jam in terms of the repertoire though we have 43 gaikyoku pieces in the shoden category, 42 pieces in Chuden, and then one is eligible to apply for the Junshihan rank. The next level for gaikyoku pieces is Okuden, which has 29 pieces, and following that, the same three levels, but for honkyoku pieces, which number 29 in the book we receive for collecting hanko from the sensei after completing a piece, followed by an additional seven, making 36. We are expected to perform both gaikyoku and honkyoku in annual recitals but do not have to learn all of the pieces in each level in order to attain rank. I got my shihan some years ago but actually just finished learning all 36 honkyoku from my sensei just last year, after playing the shakuhachi for for than a quarter century! Now I'm relearning some of the more difficult gaikyoku such as Iaigoromo and Chio No Uguisu as I raced through the pieces learning them some years back and didn't get the fine detail in terms of ornamentation, and fingerings specific to our branch of Kinko. Congratulations on passing the Tozan Junshihan test!
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:20    Post subject: Self-Introduction!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation