ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tozan vs. Kinko mouthpiece inlay question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
janeinjapan

PostPosted: 2014-04-20, 12:49    Post subject: Tozan vs. Kinko mouthpiece inlay question Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
If this question has been answered somewhere else, please point me in the right direction! (I couldn't find an answer).

Is there a difference in sound between the Tozan and Kinko utaguchi inlays? For example, if you had two identical shakuhachis, one with a kinko inlay and the other with a tozan inlay, would they sound the same? Or is the difference in inlays only decorative?

Thank you Very Happy
Eugene

PostPosted: 2014-04-20, 14:38    Post subject: Tozan vs. Kinko mouthpiece inlay question Reply with quote

From what I understand, they would indeed sound the same, except that in practice the type of inlays hint as to differences in the other aspects of shakuhachi construction which does make a difference (i.e., fine tuning for the kinds of music common to the respective school).
Visit poster’s website
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2014-04-20, 23:41    Post subject: Tozan vs. Kinko mouthpiece inlay question Reply with quote

In the past there was a difference, but today there is little or no difference. So it depends upon whether you're talking about a modern or vintage shakuhachi. The Tozan makers of the past made different kinds of flutes than the Kinko makers. Now the same makers put either inlay in depending upon the client. If you're asking whether the inlay shape itself makes a difference in the sound, the answer would be no. The tone is determined more by the angle, width and shape of the mouthpiece, and what happens in the bore.

Somebody might think the shape of the inlay affects the sound but I have never heard anyone say that.
janeinjapan

PostPosted: 2014-04-21, 09:26    Post subject: Tozan vs. Kinko mouthpiece inlay question Reply with quote

Thanks for both of the answers. I understand!
x moran

PostPosted: 2014-04-22, 08:01    Post subject: Tozan vs. Kinko mouthpiece inlay question Reply with quote

Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
Somebody might think the shape of the inlay affects the sound but I have never heard anyone say that.

you're trying to bait me, aren't you?
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2014-04-24, 07:11    Post subject: Tozan vs. Kinko mouthpiece inlay question Reply with quote

Do you think the shape of inlay affects the sound?
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 22:33    Post subject: Tozan vs. Kinko mouthpiece inlay question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation