ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is 1st,2nd and 3rd?
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: 2014-06-15, 23:43    Post subject: What is 1st,2nd and 3rd? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Still Plugging away... Okay
Strength of tone and range of note are merging better and I really didn't make a decision to concentrate on one or the other....
It's coming....

Hey Plume Blanche...If you read this?
I did also get a Yuu this week....Thank you!
And because of its reputation, I can appraise my J L Peilhon because I have played them back to back.
So happy with both!
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: 2014-06-26, 18:46    Post subject: What is 1st,2nd and 3rd? Reply with quote

So I have 2 shakuhachi now...

A Madake bamboo end root and the Yuu.

I am the same standard on each to my ears Rolling Eyes Though they have a different tone I like each for their own qualities.
The utaguchi shapes differ a fair bit in angle but niether seems to present more of a challenge than the other.

swapping over regularly.....good thing? bad thing?
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2014-06-26, 22:27    Post subject: What is 1st,2nd and 3rd? Reply with quote

Will make you more flexible... and as long as the swap doesn't bother you, I don't think it will harm you.
Visit poster’s website Skype
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: 2014-06-29, 21:26    Post subject: What is 1st,2nd and 3rd? Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply Kiku.

I hope it would simply make me more aware of what works and how that can be adapted from flute to flute...not that I intend to keep changing beyond these 2.
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: 2014-08-21, 08:49    Post subject: What is 1st,2nd and 3rd? Reply with quote

Quick update...
Time is my main issue and I guess this is the same for many.
I have routinely been trying to steadily get from (Otsu) RO, through to the next (Kan?) and keep going to the next Ro played with partial coverage of hole 5 and then back down again.
Sometimes with repeats (kinko).

Kiku mentioned about concentrating on less notes initially but my discipline is lacking as I find that once I start, carrying strength and quality of tone into the next note fulfilling.
I know extending my range is ultimately a good thing but now I have reminded myself, I may play fewer notes for a while and concentrate using the energy I have to really fill the tones.

I can find even a single octave pretty tiring sometimes...especially in the heat we've had through June/July.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2014-08-21, 20:40    Post subject: What is 1st,2nd and 3rd? Reply with quote

Hi Tenderfoot

It must have been in a particular context I have said that. Right now I don't recall it.
I think it sounds like you are doing well. It would be too boring at the stage you are at to only play a few notes. One octave sounds totally reasonable.
Visit poster’s website Skype
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: 2014-08-21, 23:02    Post subject: What is 1st,2nd and 3rd? Reply with quote

Kiku Day wrote:
Hi Tenderfoot

It must have been in a particular context I have said that. Right now I don't recall it.
I think it sounds like you are doing well. It would be too boring at the stage you are at to only play a few notes. One octave sounds totally reasonable.

Hi Kiku,

On reflection then, I read more into/misunderstood your earlier advice in this thread regarding the 1st 5 notes. Embarassed

Oh well....my mistake stopped me trying to run before I could walk and like the rest of your advise its been very useful to me Okay
felix martens

PostPosted: 2014-08-22, 09:44    Post subject: What is 1st,2nd and 3rd? Reply with quote

You say earlier that you have learned that the rewards are sweeter when the basics have been learned. As I said in "Enjoying practice" next topic down, the notes, for me, can become an end in themselves without the need to play actual pieces. I may be alone in this thought but the shakuhachi seems pretty unique in the amount of learning and effort that has to go into "simply" producing a note. I have a friend who is a very accomplished musician who was shocked when he picked up a shakuhachi for the first time and could't produce a single note, saying that that was the first time in his life an instrument had defeated him at the outset.
This forum and the BBQ is full of surprised people, one I remember when his teacher told him it would take 20 years to perfect a particular piece. I think you should prepare yourself for the long haul, and enjoy the ride!! No, enjoy the climb, it's much harder than a ride!!!
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2014-08-22, 20:08    Post subject: What is 1st,2nd and 3rd? Reply with quote

Hello Tenderfoot,

It is good that you have taken a Yuu, it will allow you to take it with you and play with where you want, even outside the winter!

If it is true that for play well with a Shakuhachi, it is necessary to know him intimately, and therefore very long play with him, at the same time I find that it's fine to have several. There's different things with each of them.

Each requires a different approach. I have not found it difficult to move from one to the other. There is little time to adapt each time, a few minutes.

But at the contrary, the efforts to play on my Shakuhachi 2.4 Jinashi, that I find difficult (amount of breath and constant search for the right position to get a nice sound) have allowed me to make some progress with my other Shakuhachi, with which I feel more comfortable since.

I know that in this regard the views may be different, but in any case, for me, playing on several Shakuhachi brings me really something.

For notes, it is the same principle. Long play the same notes to control them, or try to play them all, less well, you will find the answer yourself.
The Shakuhachi is a difficult instrument, which is considered on the long term, you will know even what method suited you to want to move forward, despite the inevitable moments of discouragement that will appear on your road.

Courage, patience and keep the desire... Wink

PostPosted: 2014-08-22, 20:19    Post subject: What is 1st,2nd and 3rd? Reply with quote

My point of view is that of a novice, who has a long road to do to play well.

So no advice to follow, just personal experience of novice! Okay

PostPosted: 2014-08-22, 22:19    Post subject: What is 1st,2nd and 3rd? Reply with quote

Plume Blanche wrote:
My point of view is that of a novice, who has a long road to do to play well.

So no advice to follow, just personal experience of novice! Okay

But a very welcome one!
Like Felix Martens also.
It seems there are a limited amount of beginners posting here so its great to hear each others experiences. Okay

Plumbe Blanche, its great that the problems you find with your 2.4 have helped you in a more general sense on all of your shakuhachi.
felix martens

PostPosted: 2014-08-30, 11:12    Post subject: What is 1st,2nd and 3rd? Reply with quote

I've just reread this topic, and I think that you should be going with the single note, long tone practice that you don't like the idea of. The reason is that if you ask just about anyone they'll probably tell you that it's their first priority at the beginning of a practice session, or may even be all they do in a practice session on any given day. I can tell you that blowing Ro for a long period, listening and experimenting with embouchure, angle and covering holes, is unbeatable as preparation for general playing, in that it "warms up" your embouchure and your playing should become more consistent in any practice you enjoy after your long note session.
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: 2014-08-30, 21:55    Post subject: What is 1st,2nd and 3rd? Reply with quote

Thanks Felix,

It's not that I don't like the idea. I just struggle with the discipline.
I set out with good intention but after a few reasonable efforts ...I'm off.
Long tones is something I believe in from other woodwind experience so I will keep at it.
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 01:03    Post subject: What is 1st,2nd and 3rd?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation