ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Website Sort Function Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse
Previous topic :: Next topic  

Would it be useful and /or a good idea to be able to sort members list by locality?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Tenderfoot

PostPosted: 2014-06-01, 09:16    Post subject: Website Sort Function Idea Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I have recently scanned the members list clicking on member names hoping to find players near me.

I gave up after about 50 names from what is currently a list just short of 700.
Is it possible to have a sort function for member locality in that section?

Good idea? bad idea?
Can it be done already even? and if so can someone show me how? Okay
JF Lagrost
Administrator

PostPosted: 2014-06-01, 16:17    Post subject: Website Sort Function Idea Reply with quote

Maybe that would be useful, but I'm afraid that's not possible. There are 2 kinds of "Localisations" on this forum :
- the "Localisation" field in your Profile : that's just a text field, the only possibility of classification is alphabetical, which is not very useful in this case.
- the localisation function of "who is online" : based on the IP address, it allows you to view on a map in which country are members currently online. They disappear from the map 60 minutes after disconnection.
The solution would be to create a field in which one could enter his residence in a standardized way (with drop-down menus, etc.), the system then interprets this as GPS coordinates for example, and then add a "ranking by GPS" option in memberlist ranking methods... Well, I'm sorry that's a bit too much work for me...
Visit poster’s website
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: 2014-06-01, 19:27    Post subject: Website Sort Function Idea Reply with quote

Ah....ok shame, thanks for looking at it
Eugene

PostPosted: 2014-06-01, 20:01    Post subject: Website Sort Function Idea Reply with quote

There does not appear to be any phpbb geolocation mod available, at least not one that is discoverable by some shallow searching of the Web and the phpbb mods database/forum. There is a mod for searching for a user by location, but I think that what you have in mind is closer to say, Django People.

Even if such a mod existed, or if say, I copied Django People to have Shakuhachi People Smile , there would still be the catch that people will have to update their location, or the location by IP address thing has to be tweaked to update location automatically (but this kind of functionality is not always accurate).
Visit poster’s website
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2014-06-03, 10:40    Post subject: Website Sort Function Idea Reply with quote

The best thing is if everybody supported our work in the European Shakuhachi Society and became a member. It is only €/£20 a year. Then you can all make a little bio and have it uploaded here: http://shakuhachisociety.eu/people/players/
Here it would actually be possible to order people after area or at least country.....
What do you say?

Mr. Green
Visit poster’s website Skype
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 11:47    Post subject: Website Sort Function Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation