ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frayed Utaguchi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Peter Schreiber

PostPosted: 2014-06-28, 13:06    Post subject: Frayed Utaguchi Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hello Forum,

it was a snip on ebay and so I buyed a shakuhachi from japan. It has a wonderful and rich sound but I am a bit concerned about the utaguchi.
It looks a bit frayed and as a beginer I'm not sure if this will affect the sound / my practice. It seems to be a bit difficult to reach the kan register with it and hold a steady sound (but that can be more the problem of me and my playing...not sure).

So I add some pictures and would be very thankful for your opinion. Maybe I should give it to restoration?

By the way; maybe someone knows what's the meaning of the symbols at the root end...looks like three bars and a cross.

Thanks,

Peter

Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2014-06-28, 14:58    Post subject: Frayed Utaguchi Reply with quote

Hi Peter, nothing wrong with the mouthpiece. Enjoy! Okay
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2014-06-28, 20:03    Post subject: Frayed Utaguchi Reply with quote

I agree with Tairaku...
三十 means 30 in Japanese.... but I don't know if that is what they wanted it to say...
Visit poster’s website Skype
Peter Schreiber

PostPosted: 2014-06-28, 20:24    Post subject: Frayed Utaguchi Reply with quote

Thank you both very much, that level out my concerns! Smile
I really like the flute and it's a pleasure to play with it...so now I have to work more on my playing skills.
x moran

PostPosted: 2014-06-29, 10:41    Post subject: Frayed Utaguchi Reply with quote

Sometimes, utaguchi which are slightly narrow and slightly deep (with emphasis on "slightly") as yours appears to be can play the kan register more easily. I once had a flute with an utaguchi shape similar to yours and I had it "repaired" so it looked more crescent shape and standardized. The result was a flute with a much more challenging kan register. I really should have kept it the way the original shakuhachi maker made it. If the edge is a little rough, so be it. It probably adds more character to the sound.
Peter Schreiber

PostPosted: 2014-06-29, 11:12    Post subject: Frayed Utaguchi Reply with quote

Hello X,

the funny thing is, that I reach more easily the kan register with my other shakuhachi wich is a very simple long bamboo in A. So I was a bit frustrated that my D Shakuahchi is not that "easy" but now I realize it's me - not the flute! Very Happy
So I have to practice more - my poor neighbours! Wink
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 20:49    Post subject: Frayed Utaguchi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation