ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ro has left the building!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Chrisk5555

PostPosted: 2014-07-02, 01:35    Post subject: Ro has left the building! Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I am not an experienced player, although I have taken about 12-16 Shakuhachi lessons in the past and have played end blown embouchure type flutes for some years. I enjoy playing my shakuhachi's and normally don't have difficulty making sounds!

I have a newish old flute, a 1.8 by Kitahara Seikado. It is probably 40 years old and has been tuned and repaired by Monty Levinson. It plays beautifully in Kan and from Tsu meri and higher. But Ro has become very difficult for me. I seem to always slip up into Ro Kan. I have really relaxed my lips and opened up the embouchure and it still goes into the upper octave. Some days I am able to get Otsu Ro, albeit softly and weakly.

Questions for this newbie: 1) Are the better shakuhachi's harder to play, more sensitive, etc.? Could this be an issue, just that I have to practice more. 2) Has anyone else encountered such a problem with their playing and how did you work on it? 3) Could something be defective in the flute (besides my playing, that is)?

Any tips? This issue is driving me crazy because this is such a great flute with such a wonderful clear tone in every other note except this one.
Thanks, Chris
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2014-07-02, 05:16    Post subject: Ro has left the building! Reply with quote

What does it sound like when someone else plays it? Can they get ro?

Sounds like a leak. Run water down the bore (which will seal the leak) and see if ro stabilizes. If not, then it's your playing or something else about the flute.
Chrisk5555

PostPosted: 2014-07-02, 14:11    Post subject: Ro has left the building! Reply with quote

I tried the water experiment and, amazingly, I got a fine, strong Ro! Thank you for your advice. I will send it out for repair.
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2014-07-02, 15:38    Post subject: Ro has left the building! Reply with quote

Okay

If you're in New Mexico it is not surprising that the dry climate might cause a leak or hairline crack.
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2014-07-02, 16:02    Post subject: Ro has left the building! Reply with quote

Chrisk5555 wrote:
I tried the water experiment and, amazingly, I got a fine, strong Ro! Thank you for your advice. I will send it out for repair.

You might be able to repair it yourself. If the flute is well bound and a hairline opened again some nail polish can do the trick. Identifying the right place where to apply is the hard part. If the joint is leaky try plumber tape. Both worked for me.
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:03    Post subject: Ro has left the building!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation