ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enjoying practice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
felix martens

PostPosted: 2014-07-30, 09:41    Post subject: Enjoying practice! Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Sometimes I feel frustrated by the slow progression of learning the shakuhachi, though I fully realise that it is necessary and "What's the hurry"!!! I just thought I'd share something with other beginners who are always asking about books and stuff. I have spent a month away and decided to take one book with me for practice and decided on "Shakuhachi Workbook" by James Nyoraku Schlefer.
The exercises in the book become for a beginner, and perhaps non-beginners, a really satisfying workout and a musical end in themselves. Playing simple tunes is fine but the exercises allowed me to explore the actual notes as an end in themselves, and I found myself listening more intently, without the "distraction" of trying to play "a tune". I found this liberating.
Just a thought!
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2014-07-30, 13:15    Post subject: Enjoying practice! Reply with quote

Sometimes one doesn't have the focus or head space to work on music and these technical exercises are a great refuge. I love working with Jim's practice pieces.
Fiona Dawes

PostPosted: 2014-08-10, 13:04    Post subject: Enjoying practice! Reply with quote

Hi Felix,

I agree with you, the workbook is so great. I shall revisit my workbook, 'The Practical Shakuhachi', by James Nyoraku Schlefer. I could memorise some of the exercises too.   

I wanted to share with you some of my enjoyment; the lecture by Junsuke Kawase Sensei on Qigong and the Shakuhachi, I have a video recording from the WSF 2008 collection. Something I rarely do is rest before practice, but what a great idea. Rest, watch the recording, light incense and enjoy.  

When I can't get away!
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 06:53    Post subject: Enjoying practice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation