ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Books about the Shakuhachi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Peter Schreiber

PostPosted: 2014-10-27, 23:14    Post subject: Books about the Shakuhachi Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hi Folks,

I started learning the Shakuhachi half a year ago using a german book (which must be the only german one), also I use the fantastic "The Shakuhachi - a manual for learning" by Christopher Yohmei Blasdel, and "Blowing Zen" by Carl Abott.

I've played most of the beginner pieces and come to Kurokami. While I fight with it I was wondering, if there are any books that are important to know at this time.
I know that in english there are many books for learning, so I guess my question is: which one should I read? Maybe you have any advice. I know, there is already a Thread with a similar theme but I'm not asking here only for books about learning but also about the Shakuhachi, maybe as biography (like Ray Brooks book "Blowing Zen").
Or - to say it different - what books about the Shakuhachi do you read? Very Happy
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2014-10-27, 23:42    Post subject: Books about the Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Gunnar Jinmei Linder "Notes on kinko ryu shakuhachi honkyoku. Performance techniques, analysis classification explanation
Visit poster’s website
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2014-10-27, 23:46    Post subject: Books about the Shakuhachi Reply with quote

"The single tone" Christopher Yohmei Blasdel
Visit poster’s website
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2014-10-28, 09:53    Post subject: Books about the Shakuhachi Reply with quote

The Annals of the Inernational Shakuhachi society Vol. 1 and 2
Visit poster’s website
Rick Riekert

PostPosted: 2014-10-28, 14:55    Post subject: Books about the Shakuhachi Reply with quote

There is a link to Gunnar Linder’s doctoral dissertation “Deconstructing Tradition in Japanese Music: A Study of Shakuhachi, Historical Authenticity and Transmission of Tradition”.

http://su.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:488776/FULLTEXT01.pdf
Lindsay

PostPosted: 2014-10-29, 03:25    Post subject: Books about the Shakuhachi Reply with quote

In alphabetical order, a few other books in addition to those mentioned above, including one book which is not specifically about shakuhachi, but might offer some perspective on what we do as players of a foreign instrument... though I'm not sure if reading them will help to play Kurokami...

Ashgate Research Companion to Japanese Music, Alison Tokita and David Hughes

Contemporary Music Review Volume 8 part 2, features a good range of articles related to shakuhachi

History of Japanese Music, Eta Harich-Schneider

Notes on Kinko-ryu Shakuhachi Honkyoku, Gunnar Linder

The Study of Ethnomusicology:31 Issues and Concepts, Bruno Nettl

Traditional Japanese Music and Musical Instruments, William Malm

Yearning for the Bell: A Study of Transmission in the Shakuhachi Honkyoku Tradition, Riley Lee
Peter Schreiber

PostPosted: 2014-10-29, 21:53    Post subject: Books about the Shakuhachi Reply with quote

Wow - much stuff to read for the holidays! Smile Thank you very much. I already ordered "The single tone" and "Notes on Kinko-ryu Shakuhachi".
The study "Deconstructing Tradition in Japanese Music" I've downloaded already some months ago but didn't have the time until now to take a closer look at it.
So again, thanks for your advices!
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 18:49    Post subject: Books about the Shakuhachi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation