ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I just can't seem to hit the right notes on my fue (flute).
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
rickl

PostPosted: 2014-11-24, 02:13    Post subject: I just can't seem to hit the right notes on my fue (flute). Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I am also very much a beginner, playing since around September this year. I have been playing Native American pueblo style flutes for some time, which play somewhat similarly.

As to getting dizzy, I had the same issue, then I took a lesson from Scott August and he told me "Don't blow into the flute, breath through the flute!" Haven't gotten dizzy since.

As to playing flat, to support what others have said, the first time I played a shakuhachi in front of anyone, I was trying out one in front of Ronnie Seldin at the World Flute Society convention. He was very supportive, and one of this comments was that pretty much all beginners play meri (chin down, flat), and I should learn to play more kari (as others here have described). So rest assured that what you are experiencing is common.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2014-11-26, 21:34    Post subject: I just can't seem to hit the right notes on my fue (flute). Reply with quote

rickl wrote:

"Don't blow into the flute, breath through the flute!"

Nice one, rick! Okay
Visit poster’s website Skype
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:20    Post subject: I just can't seem to hit the right notes on my fue (flute).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation