ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Christmas Pieces?
Goto page: 1, 2  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Peter Schreiber

PostPosted: 2014-12-03, 22:00    Post subject: Some Christmas Pieces? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Ok, so the last thing my girlfriend and family wants to see is me with my shakuhachi playing some songs under the christmas tree. As a newbie everything still sound a bit strange, way too high, out of tune and whatever you can imagine. Anyway, I started a few days ago with "Silent night" and really liked it (taken the notation from Abotts "Blowing Zen"). I don't play usually western pieces on the shaku but it's nice to have that right now.

So maybe you all have a favorite christmas piece that you maybe want to share?
Eugene

PostPosted: 2014-12-04, 08:29    Post subject: Some Christmas Pieces? Reply with quote

You still have three weeks to practice! Very Happy
Visit poster’s website
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2014-12-04, 12:59    Post subject: Some Christmas Pieces? Reply with quote

Abbott playing:

http://www.centertao.org/media/silent-night.mp3
Visit poster’s website
mukaiji

PostPosted: 2014-12-04, 17:05    Post subject: Some Christmas Pieces? Reply with quote

Try this one from Philip Horan's site :

http://www.shakuhachizen.com/scores/oiche.jpg
Peter Schreiber

PostPosted: 2014-12-04, 18:25    Post subject: Some Christmas Pieces? Reply with quote

@eugene: I will need them! Very Happy
@ LowBlow: yes, that's exatly the one I play; I think it has a problem in the end, the three last notes are tsu meri, ri and ri meri...doesn't sound that good.
@mukaiji: THANKS! That's a great piece a friend of mine blows on his bagpipe!
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2014-12-06, 19:01    Post subject: Some Christmas Pieces? Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

I also like very much "Silent Night".

The version which gives Lowblow is very nice.

But difficult for me.

I found the notes on my Shakuhachi 1.8 in a low version (below the link).

I wrote the score. I hope that I did not make error.

Maybe it will be useful for you.

Thank you mukaiji for the score of "One night in Bethlehem".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpM5aYWI_54&list=UUtTC0OUtoCsQYbHWc-1w9…

PostPosted: 2014-12-07, 14:22    Post subject: Some Christmas Pieces? Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

If you manage to find the score sheet or MIDI file for the songs you want to play, you could use the software that I develop to convert that information to shakuhachi notation (mainly Tozan notation, but including a Kinko font).
See the following website for details about the software, called ShakuViewer, and the download link:
http://sites.google.com/site/razvanswebsite/shakuhachi/software

Basically the workflow is like this:
1) Import the MIDI file (or input the music notation) in a program such as MuseScore
2) Export the music data to MusicXML format
3) Open the MusicXML file in ShakuViewer and play :-)
Peter Schreiber

PostPosted: 2014-12-07, 21:28    Post subject: Some Christmas Pieces? Reply with quote

Thanks Plume, that sounds really good! Maybe they won't kick me out at christmas with this song! Wink

Roban I will surly try this; sounds very interesting! Is it possible to transfer also bigger pieces into shakuhachi notation? I'm thinking of a thread in the Mujitsu - Forum with lots of western classical pieces...
Roban Beuran

PostPosted: 2014-12-08, 12:18    Post subject: Some Christmas Pieces? Reply with quote

Sure Peter, in principle there is no limit on how "big" a piece is. And you can use typical music notation such as repeat bars, staccato, breath marks, and so on. I sometimes use ShakuViewer to convert classical pieces by Bach, Schubert or Vivaldi to shakuhachi notation.

By the way, would you mind providing a link for the "thread in the Mujitsu - Forum with lots of western classical pieces" that you mentioned?
I am also interested in this kind of pieces.
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2014-12-08, 13:13    Post subject: Some Christmas Pieces? Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

Try to prepare both versions. You will play under the fir tree the one who inspires you most.

It would be a pity that the Christmas tree feels faint... Very Happy

PostPosted: 2014-12-08, 20:40    Post subject: Some Christmas Pieces? Reply with quote

Beuran that's great! I will try it in my holidays! The link is http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=2042 but all the songs / links provided there are down.

Plume yes! I will try both! I just discovered - or re-discovered - Kojo no tsuki (just saw a wonderful youtube version of the song - and found some alternative scores for it. Simple but very touching song! So I have a part of my xmas - playlist together! Wink
But seriously: do all your family members embrace your shakuhachi - playing? My girlfriend often runs when I play - just like the cat - but she doesn't like the instrument in general.
Eugene

PostPosted: 2014-12-09, 07:28    Post subject: Some Christmas Pieces? Reply with quote

Peter Schreiber wrote:
I just discovered - or re-discovered - Kojo no tsuki (just saw a wonderful youtube version of the song - and found some alternative scores for it. Simple but very touching song! So I have a part of my xmas - playlist together!

Could you provide the link to the Youtube video? I like Kojo no tsuki because it sounds simple yet touching, as you say, but I have a hard time imagining it as part of a Christmas playlist given its nostaglic, even melancholic, character!

Peter Schreiber wrote:
But seriously: do all your family members embrace your shakuhachi - playing? My girlfriend often runs when I play - just like the cat - but she doesn't like the instrument in general.

It might just be your playing Razz

Truth be told, my mother did comment earlier this year that I now seem to be playing music. Hahaha! (But no, I cannot put the blame on a lack of appreciation for honkyoku on her part as the repertoire I am learning includes various varieties of pieces.)
Visit poster’s website
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2014-12-09, 13:39    Post subject: Some Christmas Pieces? Reply with quote

Kojo no tsuki is a very attractive melody. Okay

All people whom I know (family members and friends) do not like the sound of Shakuhachi, except one of my friends !

It is of course mainly because of my play, but even if I make them listen to a well played piece, they do not like really either.

My dog appreciates when I play Otsu, but it becomes nervous with Kan (he wants all the same stayed near me, but his hearing capacities are tested severely! Mr. Green

When he will calmly listen to me playing Kan, I would know that I made progress. Mort de Rire

Is not it too hard for you, to dedicate you to a musical instrument which the others do not like ?

PostPosted: 2014-12-09, 19:41    Post subject: Some Christmas Pieces? Reply with quote

ok. Here's one more holiday melody from Finland about a Christmas tree for flute and guitar. If the flute notes are too high you can play it in D minor instead of A minor.

http://www.janwolters.nl/blad/joulupuu.pdf
Peter Schreiber

PostPosted: 2014-12-10, 19:23    Post subject: Some Christmas Pieces? Reply with quote

@ Eugene...most of it is my playing Wink here's the link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt2Im7z77TA

@Plume: My cat hates every single note! Very Happy I came late to the shakuhachi (I'm 37 and I guess many instruments are better learned with 5 or 6) but I really enjoy the (slow) process of learning. So that is what makes the shakuhachi so great for me. When did you start when I might ask?
@mukaiji thats a beautiful piece! Thanks!
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 10:44    Post subject: Some Christmas Pieces?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: 1, 2  >
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation