ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Practicig routines and tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō
Previous topic :: Next topic  
fey

PostPosted: 2014-12-22, 23:24    Post subject: Practicig routines and tips Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hi,

I have played shakuhachi for several years and had most of the time a teacher I saw a couple times every year. He's not available anymore so I have had to practice only by myself and I have noticed that I need some kind of new practicing methods and new songs to develop as a player. I usually play a couple of times every week with same kind of routine:
- Warmup, ro for a couple of minutes
- Couple of easy songs like Tsuki, Sakura Sakura, Kojo no Tsuki, Hi-Fu-Mi (short version) etc
- Two or three longer songs (I can play Sagari-ha no Kyoku, Taki-otoshi no Kyoku, Akebono Sugagaki and San-ya Sugagaki) or one longer song and practicing some new ones

The thing is that I feel that I have not got any better player for a while. I need at least new songs to play but I'm not sure wich ones would be good. Some kind of modifications to my routines would be good also I think

All suggestions, advices and comments are appreciated.
Eugene

PostPosted: 2014-12-23, 06:31    Post subject: Practicig routines and tips Reply with quote

Find another teacher, or maybe resort to Skype lessons?
Visit poster’s website
fey

PostPosted: 2015-05-13, 00:00    Post subject: Practicig routines and tips Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest good teachers?
JF Lagrost
Administrator

PostPosted: 2015-05-17, 10:59    Post subject: Practicig routines and tips Reply with quote

If you live in Europe or for Skype lessons : http://shakuhachisociety.eu/people/teachers/
Visit poster’s website
RimBlown

PostPosted: 2015-06-08, 13:58    Post subject: Practicig routines and tips Reply with quote

I don't mean this as an insult for it's own sake, rather as an observation. But I think the shakuhachi message forum needs a bit of invigorating and freshing up if the only replies to such a question is find a new teacher. I've been playing music most of my life, flutes and shakuhachi in later adulthood. There are no dirth of great books, philosophies on the art and psychology of practicing, overcoming obstacles, reestablishing goals etc... Anybody who has played music for anytime, knows that you are constantly looking at practice material, techniques, time management etc.... This is a rabbit hole of a topic that could go on for pages if the collective had the interest. This question might even have more relevance to the shakuhachi more than any flute because the path many people choose as a solely mediation instrument, the lack of ensembles options for people and opportunities for the average, non-professional player to find an outlet to share music. Performance has a way of keeping you on your toes.

Yes, a good teacher or just getting with somebody can provide rocket fuel, inspiration, tips but if you are only looking for twice a year, there is a much more significant issue. Start with what assessing your goals. There have been posts, especially on the old forum, of practice routines by other great players.

Forums have a life cycle. And then they can meander for years or even die. By the time, I registered, it looked like this forum is already in a mature stage since most of the robust sharing has been done in the past, and new requests receive superficial answers to profound questions. There are great resources for forum organizers why this happens and how to prevent it if there is a desire.

Hope the management and the members take this as it was intended, an observation, not as a way to insult although it will likely offend. It's just a simple decision, I'd like this forum to be a robust information portal for shakuhachi players, what can we do as administrators to change that? Unfortunately, you can't rely on the collective because they follow others leads. People won't post in empty forums. Share their music when others don't. The nature of psyche and all. This is not the only forum with this issue. So don't take it personally. Just my hang up that such a profound question, common as all heck, and there are good musicians on this forum and the will of the forum to provide an answer is almost non-existent? YOu might believe the only answer is find a good teacher. Than it's fair, but so much more.
felix martens

PostPosted: 2015-06-08, 20:10    Post subject: Deafening silence. Reply with quote

I'm torn between the fact that a bit of research on the forum can uncover many answers, especially if that search includes the Shakuhachi BBQ, and alternatively the fact that new members should get more encouragement from more experienced members or professionals....it only takes a moment to rush off a pearl of wisdom or just a word of advice.
Ma has it's place but hey.
RimBlown

PostPosted: 2015-06-09, 02:21    Post subject: Practicig routines and tips Reply with quote

Nothing to be torn about because you are correct. It is incumbent on the person seeking information to find the answers and to search high and low, near and far if their thirst for being a competent musician is in the heart. However, for some people busy schedules, financial issues, or just not being internet savvy might be obstacles.

I'll give this question a go acknowledging I am an infrequent poster, nobody to anybody, I might be great or stink at my craft. As the saying goes, don't believe everything you read on the internet.

The most information I get from Fey is not what she says but what she doesn't ask. Sherlock Holmes once solved a crime based on the Dog that Didn't Bark. The question of what she is playing or practicing is not as important as how. YOu can practice anything. Anything at all, if you are consistent, present, isolate difficult passages, practice slowly etc... you should be able to overcome the hurdle infront of you. Music is cumulative so one thing at a time. Obviously, I would wait to see if she answers because often new posters are look for what they are looking for and never come back. Kind of like when I buy a new camera, I go to a camera forum without the slightest interest of offering much in return besides a thank you. Maybe the teacher recommendation is all she needed and she'll find a person that will give her an earful on the art of practicing.

I had many music teachers in my journey. As a youth as most people have, every week, as a student, maybe I'd see an expert now and then. Different teachers have different expertise. I'm gonna look for the person to help my greatest weakness. But of all the teachers I had, nobody really taught me HOW to practice. That was what I picked up as part of my journey. Ultimately, the process of practicing is a practice of discovery. A teacher just points things out, illuminates the path, but you have to walk it. They are not with you between lessons.

The next flag that goes off are matters of inspiration and motivation. Yes, a teacher is a source of information but hopefully inspiration. Does she listen to the music she is practicing? does it inspire her? What does she want to play? Does she practice like a person reading a newspaper waiting for a bus from front to end, or is her practice focus.

My apologies Fey if you are reading this and I am referring to you in the third person. Just writing stream of consciousness.

There are excellent treatises on practicing. Youtube is filled with master class's. If you want to be good at the shakuhachi, watch Tuba master classes. I watch master classes on almost every instrument because I am looking for principles that apply equally to any musical instrument. Rarely will they get into Tuba repertoire but if they do, try to follow along. There is enough inspirational stuff to read and watch to keep you occupied 365. Nothing very unique about hitting walls. We all do.

The unwritten rule of forums is the 20/80 like business, like most things, is 20% do the work, contribute the most, have the most expertise. After a cycle or two of putting everything out, there is not much incentive to continue for many reasons. But that's another topic, the psychology of internet forums. I've found it fascinating doing research when I was involved in a project.

Anyway, I'm off back into lurker mode and beyond. Just looking to see if any new information since the last time I checked in several months ago. I'm sure my observation about the decline in interest wasn't unique or others haven't noticed.
felix martens

PostPosted: 2015-06-09, 08:24    Post subject: Practicig routines and tips Reply with quote

Eeh, lad. There's nowt sa queer as folk!
kongwee

PostPosted: 2015-06-14, 12:53    Post subject: Practicig routines and tips Reply with quote

I bought a lot of CD books, DVDs. I don't have any teacher on this, but I am learning dizi now and shakuhachi as secondary instrument.
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2015-06-21, 17:59    Post subject: Practicig routines and tips Reply with quote

fey wrote:
Hi,

I have played shakuhachi for several years and had most of the time a teacher I saw a couple times every year. He's not available anymore so I have had to practice only by myself and I have noticed that I need some kind of new practicing methods and new songs to develop as a player. I usually play a couple of times every week with same kind of routine:
- Warmup, ro for a couple of minutes
- Couple of easy songs like Tsuki, Sakura Sakura, Kojo no Tsuki, Hi-Fu-Mi (short version) etc
- Two or three longer songs (I can play Sagari-ha no Kyoku, Taki-otoshi no Kyoku, Akebono Sugagaki and San-ya Sugagaki) or one longer song and practicing some new ones

The thing is that I feel that I have not got any better player for a while. I need at least new songs to play but I'm not sure wich ones would be good. Some kind of modifications to my routines would be good also I think

All suggestions, advices and comments are appreciated.

Hi Fey, for what it worth, the songs you mentioned are beautiful pieces but to play them well is not easy. I often refer back to my old mini disc recordings I made when I first studied shakuhachi in Japan. They serve as my continued education. There are always new things I hear that were not notice back then because my ears were not able to discern the nuances. These days, with my New York City teacher Ralph Samuelson, I make it a point to record our lessons as the sound in his 40 years of playing is quite valuable for me. This is one aspect of traditional study and my iphone recordings are invaluable when face to face lessons are not possible. I suggest copying your recordings since you mention Japanese music. If you are open to other philosophies of playing, just inhale deeply with every breath and let the note be what it is on long exhalations. That will put you on a different path that can be equally rewarding in it's own growth.

Just my 2 centz - Perry
Visit poster’s website
felix martens

PostPosted: 2015-06-22, 08:29    Post subject: Practicig routines and tips Reply with quote

My twopence worth.....For me the best practice sessions are those when half an hour of Ro, rather than "a couple of minutes", precedes everything. Sometimes just blowing Ro becomes the be all and end all of the session.
I might spend the whole session using Mr. Schlefer's "Shakuhachi Workbook". Just listening to myself carefully all the while.
As to tunes...well I don't accumulate new tunes until I honestly feel I've got the one I'm working on under my belt. I return again and again to my "old" tunes., because they change as my playing changes.......hopefully for the better. Quality rather than quantity.
Fey....perhaps you are not listening hard enough to hear any improvement....or perhaps your warm ups aren't long enough to prepare you to play better.
It's a minefield..we're all different as to why and how we practice/play the shakuhachi.
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 23:33    Post subject: Practicig routines and tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation