ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manshu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Library
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Rick Riekert

PostPosted: 2015-01-12, 19:45    Post subject: Manshu Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I recently discovered a short poem written by Manshu (1884-1918), a Chinese poet born in Japan. Manshu became a Buddhist monk at age 12. Shortly thereafter, he was caught sneaking pigeon meat and was kicked out of the temple. He was to become a monk twice more during his short life. Manshu was involved in revolutionary activities against the Qing Dynasty, writing many articles and pamphlets. He joined such revolutionary societies as Hsing Chung Hui (Society for Regenerating China) and Guang Fu hui (Restoration Society). In 1903, after joining the Anti-Russia Volunteer Squad to fight against the Russian invasion of Northeastern China he established a close relationship with Dr. Sun Yat-sen. He was fluent in several languages, including English, French, Japanese, and Sanskrit. He translated the poems of Shelley and Byron and well as Hugo’s Les Miserables. Manshu died at Guangci Hospital in Shanghai on May 2nd, 1918, at the age of 35. His last words were “Every being is sentient, and every sentient being is unimpeded”. Later Dr. Sun Yat-sen donated money and buried him in the north piedmont of Mountain Hushan near the West Lake in Hangzhou. The poem is the ninth piece of his “Ten Occasional Poems” written in 1910, when the poet was 26:

In the spring rain, up the tower, someone is playing a shakuhachi.
When am I to return, to watch the tides in Zhejiang?
None knows me - wearing my straw sandals and holding a broken alms bowl.
How many bridges have I already crossed, with cherry flowers all along the way?
Peter Schreiber

PostPosted: 2015-01-13, 12:29    Post subject: Manshu Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that! I really like this poem.
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 10:49    Post subject: Manshu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Library All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation