ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blowing angle meri/kari
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Peter Schreiber

PostPosted: 2015-02-11, 21:20    Post subject: Blowing angle meri/kari Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Well first thank you all for this discussion!

I know here comes my eagerness with my progress: I was looking for a shortcut to where I want to be with my playing. But plume says it best: „It is necessary to go to the discovery of the instrument and yourself. It is necessary to search to find. „ That is so true. Thank you for your kind tips; I just printed them out so that I can read them again before I practice.
And I think Felix is also right when he says that „The big, top secret explanation for any progress in playing is hours, days , years of practice. „ - Yesss but years??? Really???? Wink Okok, so I will have to practice more meri; I get it! Smile

Thank you Christophe for ypur explanation, now I get you point, and yes, you're absolutly right.
kongwee

PostPosted: 2015-03-01, 07:04    Post subject: Blowing angle meri/kari Reply with quote

Changing blowing angle is not just for shakuhachi, many wind instrument can use that technique too.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2015-03-08, 08:43    Post subject: Blowing angle meri/kari Reply with quote

As a beginner you should always begin practicing meri and kari by changing the blowing angle.

In theory meri is created by closing the top of (the one we blow into) and kari by opening it. So yes, if you can open and close without changing the angle, it could have the same effect. But while that is theoretically correct - the truth is changing the angle is an effective way to open or close the top hole in practice.
Visit poster’s website Skype
felix martens

PostPosted: 2015-04-02, 09:54    Post subject: Blowing angle meri/kari Reply with quote

Hi again Peter! I've been pondering your original point and want to add something.
I think, as I mentioned, that meri is a hard won technique in the sense that you have enought to worry about in simply producing a strong note, before trying to perfect meri. The addition I would make is that I remember that I spent a lot of time making sure I had a strong breath in producing a note before I moved on to meri, which means I moved beyond initial efforts where I seemed to play flat notes most of the time. When you start you tend to produce notes more easily when the shakuhachi is at a shallower angle and as your breath and embouchure strengthen then you can steepen the angle of the shakuhachi to produce a true note. At this point I tried meri, but I noticed that a basic requirement of the shakuhachi is focusing on the breath because I found that if my focus wandered I "lost control" of my breathing and the note withered, making any attempt at meri fail.
I suppose what I am trying to say to anyone starting is not to lose focus on the breath. This might seem an obvious thing to say but I at least found that when there is a lot to think about, angle of the flute, embouchure, breathing then the first thing to suffer was the most important..the breath.
Once that hurdle is behind you then meri is much more easily tackled and astonishingly expressive.
felix martens

PostPosted: 2015-04-02, 10:39    Post subject: Blowing angle meri/kari Reply with quote

And, of course, that's why long tone practice is so vital!
Peter Schreiber

PostPosted: 2015-04-26, 12:16    Post subject: Blowing angle meri/kari Reply with quote

Hallo Felix,

vielen Dank für Deine ausführliche Antwort (und entschuldigung für meine späte Antwort).
Ich spiele jetzt seit zwei Jahren und natürlich versuche ich, meri mit der richtigeen Kopfhaltung zu spielen. Interesant fand ich in diesem Kontext nur, das es scheinbar nicht zwingend notwendig ist (siehe den erwähnten Artikel). Wie dem auch sei - ich merke, dass ich die langen Noten vernachlässigt habe (wohl auch, weil es recht wenig dazu in den einschlägigen Büchern / Lehrvideos gibt) und da mehr machen muss. Smile
felix martens

PostPosted: 2015-04-30, 12:58    Post subject: Blowing angle meri/kari Reply with quote

Hi Peter, I understand some German. Yes, don't neglect long note sessions!!!!!!
Peter Schreiber

PostPosted: 2015-05-02, 10:18    Post subject: Blowing angle meri/kari Reply with quote

Ups sorry, I thought you are german! Very Happy
Anyway - I will practice more long notes as part of my daily routine and I'm looking forward to discover more and more the technique of meri/kan. Smile
Laurent

PostPosted: 2015-05-16, 02:33    Post subject: Blowing angle meri/kari Reply with quote

Okay
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:21    Post subject: Blowing angle meri/kari

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation