ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bouncing Ball Rhythm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Fiona Dawes

PostPosted: 2015-04-13, 02:18    Post subject: Bouncing Ball Rhythm Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I have often thought it strange to be creating a bouncing ball rhythm.

I wondered how is it that the Kumoso were so obsessed with bouncing balls? Surely the bouncing ball was not a 'thing' back then. Where in nature is this sound?

This weekend I was practicing, sitting amidst a stand of trees losing their autumn leaves. How great!.

I noticed the crash, crash, crash of leaves cascading down from the topmost branches and through the canopy.

A very beautiful sound. Very like the bouncing ball.

XO
m a doherty

PostPosted: 2015-05-07, 20:54    Post subject: Bouncing Ball Rhythm Reply with quote

Also in nature here: https://soundcloud.com/michaeladoherty/crestone-mountain-zen-center
felix martens

PostPosted: 2015-05-08, 08:05    Post subject: Bouncing Ball Rhythm Reply with quote

The significance of Ma!
Fiona Dawes

PostPosted: 2015-08-01, 12:27    Post subject: Bouncing Ball Rhythm Reply with quote

Thank you, yes I realise I have been quite inspired by Michael's sound recording and image of the mountain retreat.

So I present:

Ma 'in the car', an experiment with the bouncing ball rhythm. 

When I was moving I had a few bells rolling around in the car, and I decided it would be fun to install one, in my rear window. So it rolls and rings with the movement of the car, sometimes out of kilter. 

There was some speculation about when I would tire of the bell, being somewhat Christmas themed. It may be my passengers have tired already with the noise. But none so impolite as to complain yet. 
x moran

PostPosted: 2015-09-10, 19:20    Post subject: Re: Bouncing Ball Rhythm Reply with quote

Fiona Dawes wrote:
I have often thought it strange to be creating a bouncing ball rhythm.

I wondered how is it that the Kumoso were so obsessed with bouncing balls? Surely the bouncing ball was not a 'thing' back then. Where in nature is this sound?

This weekend I was practicing, sitting amidst a stand of trees losing their autumn leaves. How great!.

I noticed the crash, crash, crash of leaves cascading down from the topmost branches and through the canopy.

A very beautiful sound. Very like the bouncing ball.

XO

The bouncing ball rhythm is called katarai (kah-tah-rye). It first appeared in Japan, to the best of my knowledge in the gagaku music of the Heian Period (781-1192).

See: http://www.rootsofrhythm.net/roots/8-ROR_Guide-ch6-kakko.pdf
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 20:50    Post subject: Bouncing Ball Rhythm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation