ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kari and wind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
veggiepower

PostPosted: 2011-04-09, 00:09    Post subject: Kari and wind Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Is it safe to say that the more Kari the flute the more windy the tone?
Jim Thompson
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-04-10, 03:01    Post subject: Kari and wind Reply with quote

Yes. The more extreme the airier. There are of course always mitigating factors but I think that is basically correct.
Perry Yung
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-04-10, 17:48    Post subject: Kari and wind Reply with quote

veggiepower wrote:
Is it safe to say that the more Kari the flute the more windy the tone?

Hi veggiepower, Yes, as Jim confirmed, the bigger space between the lips and blowing edge facilitates a windier tone. But it is a matter of choice for many experienced players. They decide whether they want that in their tone. Conversely speaking, some players like to make the windier tone on a meri note. You can hear this done effectively if you can find some on-line samples of the great Watazumi. His meri notes are sometimes windier and turbulent compared with his standard Kari notes (by choice).

Hope this helps.
Visit poster’s website
CharlesKoeppen

PostPosted: 2011-04-11, 16:23    Post subject: Kari and wind Reply with quote

Hi veggiepower, since I noticed that a previous post of yours was about some frustration with how the shakuhachi is supposed to be angled, I'd like to add that even though kari introduces wind, you can still get better at it. With practice, an angle that at the beginning of your struggles produced an unusable overly-windy tone, will eventually turn into a solid, in-tune, note with the windiness being a part of the tone.

My personal approach is to practice kari starting at a slight angle so that it still sounds good and seeing how far I can stretch it. Over time (and I mean weeks and months), you can get a lot further with the kari before it sounds completely wrong.
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 01:09    Post subject: Kari and wind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation