ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings from Glasgow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse
Previous topic :: Next topic  
GoStrangely

PostPosted: 2011-04-09, 12:43    Post subject: Greetings from Glasgow Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hi everyone, delighted that the BBQ has been resurrected in a new guise as I very much mourned it's passing.

I'm still trying hard to self teach, no luck with a tutor in the west of Scotland, and I have looked believe me, and unfortunately online lessons are not an option due to my internet connection; although that may change in the not too distant future, hopefully.

I rarely post as I have little to offer but I find the information and guides, which people so kindly make available, invaluable and very motivating, especially when I'm struggling, every day then. Smile

I currently have 3 Shakuhachi, wooden 1.8 & 1.9, and my pride and joy, a 1.8 Edo period root end which was identified and lovingly worked on by Perry, thanks again, a true gentleman; interestingly I find the Edo shakuhachi harder to play than the wooden 1.8 but much more satisfying and with a beautiful tone; although I often puzzle as to the ability of the second octave to vanish. Razz

So I may not always be to the forefront but I will be here and if anyone knows of a tutor in the west of Scotland, or other players please let me know.

Thank you

Paul
Erin

PostPosted: 2011-04-09, 21:21    Post subject: Greetings from Glasgow Reply with quote

Hello Paul, good to meet you here. I too know about the vanishing second octave...can happen to me on just about any of my flutes! Laughing
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2011-04-10, 04:21    Post subject: Greetings from Glasgow Reply with quote

I will trade you a nice shakuhachi for a coupla casks of good single malt. Razz Question Evil or Very Mad Very Happy Wink Okay
GoStrangely

PostPosted: 2011-04-10, 13:46    Post subject: Greetings from Glasgow Reply with quote

No problem Brian, how does a 50 yr old Macallan sound?

Although at over £12000 a bottle, for 2 casks I think I would be looking for all your worldly goods, soul and Fuke Zen Shi's bell; authenticated of course. Very Happy

Paul
Brian Tairaku Ritchie

PostPosted: 2011-04-11, 06:52    Post subject: Greetings from Glasgow Reply with quote

I like Islay malts.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2011-04-11, 11:51    Post subject: Greetings from Glasgow Reply with quote

Hi Paul

Yes, there is not much shakuhachi happening up north.
Come down to the ESS Shakuhachi Summer School happening in London in July this year!
It's always a lot of fun!
We will have classes for all levels.
www.shakuhachisummer-soas.com
Visit poster’s website Skype
mattrn

PostPosted: 2011-04-22, 02:10    Post subject: Greetings from Glasgow Reply with quote

I'll be spending a day in Glasgow in a coupla weeks. What's a pleasant place to sit and play outdoors there?
Matt
GoStrangely

PostPosted: 2011-04-22, 12:37    Post subject: Greetings from Glasgow Reply with quote

Hi Matt

I would recommend the Botanic Gardens, which are in the west end of Glasgow, near the university and centre and easily accessed by either bus or underground, car is not really practical due to parking difficulties in the area; although very popular, and often busy, the grounds are extensive so you can always find a quiet spot away from the crowds; in addition they are well worth a visit in their own right plus the area is known for both the variety and quality, and expense Very Happy , of it's restaurants and cafes.

There are other parks near the centre, indeed Glasgow is known as the dear green place due to it's number of open spaces, but some of these border on areas of which I would be very cautious, Glasgow, quite rightly, is known as a friendly welcoming and cultured city but as with any city there are areas which are best avoided; so I think with a limited time in town the Botanic's would be the best option.

Paul
mattrn

PostPosted: 2011-04-22, 16:36    Post subject: Greetings from Glasgow Reply with quote

Thank you Paul, it was on my list of places to see, and it's now moved to the top of the list!
Matt
GoStrangely

PostPosted: 2011-04-22, 16:42    Post subject: Greetings from Glasgow Reply with quote

Hi Matt

You're very welcome, if I can be of any help just drop me a line at:

paultrading AT gmail.com

Paul
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 19:24    Post subject: Greetings from Glasgow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation