ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your "one and only" shakuhachi-recording

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Media Centre
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Peter Schreiber

PostPosted: 2015-06-24, 22:03    Post subject: Your "one and only" shakuhachi-recording Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I recently bought some nice shakuhachi cds and I was wondering, which record is a "must have", the one you would take to a lonely island with you?
Eugene

PostPosted: 2015-06-25, 08:51    Post subject: Your "one and only" shakuhachi-recording Reply with quote

I really love Mamino Unryu Yorita's Maiden Voyage CD, so I would take that with me.
Visit poster’s website
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2015-06-25, 19:09    Post subject: Your "one and only" shakuhachi-recording Reply with quote

Hi peter,

What cd did you bought ?

PostPosted: 2015-06-25, 19:22    Post subject: Your "one and only" shakuhachi-recording Reply with quote

Goro Yamaguchi...."A Bell Ringing in the Empty Sky".

Just two beautiful tracks.
Ryuraku

PostPosted: 2015-06-26, 01:23    Post subject: Your "one and only" shakuhachi-recording Reply with quote

Miyata Kohachiro started it all for me:

http://www.komuso.com/albums/albums.pl?album=876
Peter Schreiber

PostPosted: 2015-06-26, 21:06    Post subject: Your "one and only" shakuhachi-recording Reply with quote

Plume I bought the new CD by Riley Lee "Shakuhachi sleep music", also as LP ZEN - Katsuya Yokoyama plays Classical Shakuhachi Masterworks (great!), Richard Stagg - Shakuhachi: The Japanese Bamboo Flute, Mitsuhashi Kifu - Art of the Shakuhachi, Vol 1.
Enough for the next weeks to hear! Very Happy
But I'm happy that I made up this thread for learning about new artists!
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2015-06-27, 12:29    Post subject: Your "one and only" shakuhachi-recording Reply with quote

Great choice, Peter ! You must be happy with it.

I have "Shakuhachi Water Meditation" (Riley Lee), cd of Minoru Muraoka, and "Zen Music with Ancient Shakuhachi" (John singer) which is wonderful. I recomment it to you to complete your collection.

Very Happy

PostPosted: 2015-06-30, 12:15    Post subject: Your "one and only" shakuhachi-recording Reply with quote

Thanks Plume, yes, very nice recordings.
I don't know the John Singer Album (but will buy it! Wink )
I already have the "Water meditation" for I have a complete discography (mostly) of Riley. In fact I started with his cd's to become interested in the shakuhachi.

It's amazing to hear the "Zen" LP, a really different sound compared to a cd or mp3.
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2015-06-30, 13:27    Post subject: Your "one and only" shakuhachi-recording Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

The sound of a LP has a "magic touch", a more intimate, more lively sound.

Technological advances provide superior sound quality on cd, but the sound becomes almost too perfect, in a way, it moves away a little from us.
The emotion occurs often in imperfection.

As the MP3, it removes all the soul of the music for me. It is practical because the files are less heavy, but so many things disappear with MP3 compression it's a shame, particularly with the Shakuhachi.

In this album (Zen Music with Ancient Shakuhachi), John Singer plays only with old Shakuhachi. The sound is particular to these instruments. The first listen, I recognize that I found somewhat strange sound, but now I really love it !!! Very Happy

PostPosted: 2015-06-30, 13:36    Post subject: Your "one and only" shakuhachi-recording Reply with quote

For you the revelation was Riley Lee, for me, the first time I've heard a Shakuhachi was on this video. And then everything changed... Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lftV5-1Oh0A

PostPosted: 2015-09-03, 22:33    Post subject: Your "one and only" shakuhachi-recording Reply with quote

Kyotaku by Nishimura Koku

you can get an idea of his playing from this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGzng5BZRVU

I recommend however that you get the CD that is for sale and could go out of print any moment. The sound quality on YouTube and Vimeo just don't quite get it, although the YouTube versions are better than the whole album on Vimeo.

I can't get on Monty's site right now, but you can purchase the CD from http://www.shakuhachi.com
Plume Blanche

PostPosted: 2015-09-04, 18:41    Post subject: Your "one and only" shakuhachi-recording Reply with quote

Thank you for the photo in big size, and for the link. His playing is magnificent. Razz

PostPosted: Today at 20:40    Post subject: Your "one and only" shakuhachi-recording

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Media Centre All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation