ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kari! even more kari!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō
Previous topic :: Next topic  
GalinaSG

PostPosted: 2015-09-06, 16:52    Post subject: Kari! even more kari! Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
As you can suppose from the title, I have a problem with kari notes. It looks like almost all my kari notes are under-kari-ed (sorry...). I slightly pull the flute down to reach correct kari - and lose the sound.
I found one tip from Kaoru Kakizakai sensei - to pull the flute not straight down but to diagonal, trying it.
Are there any more ways to achieve kari? I move the flute here and there and get lost. Please help.

PostPosted: 2015-09-07, 13:47    Post subject: Kari! even more kari! Reply with quote

Hello Galina

For me, rather than thinking about physically moving the flute, I move my chin. I keep the flute fixed under my bottom lip, and drop my chin into my chest for meri notes, for kari notes I lift my chin up and "push" it forwards.

I think by physically moving the flute itself you may find you lose contact with the utaguchi which may explain the sound dropping out?

Just a suggestion Smile
GalinaSG

PostPosted: 2015-09-07, 23:42    Post subject: Kari! even more kari! Reply with quote

Hello, Jam.
It looks like I formulated incorrectly. I move the flute down just by moving my chin up - and lose the sound.

PostPosted: 2015-09-08, 17:30    Post subject: Kari! even more kari! Reply with quote

Have you tried practicing while looking in the mirror?

It's important to aim for the same spot on the utaguchi even though the flute has moved/is moving. Maybe try playing a long tone and moving the flute in different directions, while maintaining constant sound?

All that being said, it's not easy, and it's even harder to explain online!
GalinaSG

PostPosted: 2015-09-08, 21:43    Post subject: Kari! even more kari! Reply with quote

Jam, mirror no, but all this moving here and there - yes.
OK, let's hope that following Kaoru Kakizakai sensei advice will work finally.

PostPosted: 2015-09-10, 13:42    Post subject: Kari! even more kari! Reply with quote

im not an expert myself in this, but i remember in a lesson with riley lee, he showed me how to raise the pitch of the note without moving the chin at all. Turns out by tightening ur lips and moving them a bit further away, u can actually raise it almost a semitone without moving your head, at least half a semitone, so that combined with the upper chin movement will fix things up.
GalinaSG

PostPosted: 2015-09-10, 21:34    Post subject: Kari! even more kari! Reply with quote

meoweth, thank you! I'll try.

PostPosted: 2015-12-10, 13:47    Post subject: Kari! even more kari! Reply with quote

Most new players has a tendency to play the note pitch low. Getting your pitch back to a correct kari pitch requires not only getting your head up but also a good embouchure. If you have something to reference your pitch to that can help. Either a recording on someone playing correct pitch or a pitch meter. I normally recommend to new players spending a little time playing to a meter and watching, becoming aware of their pitch and when its right. The meter should be a temporary thing to help you learn to accurately hear your pitch. Best wishes and good luck!

Live the moment, be kind and be your self!
GalinaSG

PostPosted: 2015-12-10, 21:45    Post subject: Kari! even more kari! Reply with quote

chuck56 wrote:
... pitch meter

Thank you Chuck.
I've never used pitch meter. Just downloaded one, it turned to be with european notes pictues, I don't know them )) Will look for Japanese!

PostPosted: 2015-12-10, 22:15    Post subject: Kari! even more kari! Reply with quote

Typically it should be set for 440. Them just try and make a D when playing Row.

Live the moment, be kind and be your self!
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2015-12-13, 13:49    Post subject: Kari! even more kari! Reply with quote

Galina, when you move your chin up do you change the direction of your breath? So imagine yourself moving chin up without moving the breath direction and you will blow over the utaguchi instead of hitting the right place. So when you move your chin up, make sure you direct your breath more downward accordingly.

Good luck! Smile
Visit poster’s website Skype
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 20:45    Post subject: Kari! even more kari!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation