ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tricks for kan (2nd octave)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō
Previous topic :: Next topic  
divino_marchese

PostPosted: 2015-12-10, 13:22    Post subject: tricks for kan (2nd octave) Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
There are several posts in this forum, also in the "old edition", but I'd like to take in mind some player tricks in order to obtain a correct kan (second octave). I'm able to play almost all the notes (some times there is a noticeable white noise and I'm trying to control it) but I've some problems with the last note of kan - ha, if I'm not wrong - namely the third D of a 1.8 shakuhachi. What is the role of the thumb (5th hole) in playing kan. Half covering the 5th hole with the thumb make me able to play easily, smooth and "rounded" notes for ro and tsu ...
Thanks for replay.

PS I'm a beginner player!

PostPosted: 2015-12-11, 08:18    Post subject: tricks for kan (2nd octave) Reply with quote

In kan the thumb hole is always covered. The third octave is called dai kan. When playing dai kan ro (go no ha) open the thumb hole completely and lower your chin (play in meri position).

You can half cover the thump hole. This gives a different timbre depends a bit on your school.

Pitch and sound will come over time. 'The key is practice.

No tricks. Practice, practice, practice.
Visit poster’s website
divino_marchese

PostPosted: 2015-12-11, 16:40    Post subject: tricks for kan (2nd octave) Reply with quote

LowBlow wrote:
In kan the thumb hole is always covered. The third octave is called dai kan. When playing dai kan ro (go no ha) open the thumb hole completely and lower your chin (play in meri position).

You can half cover the thump hole. This gives a different timbre depends a bit on your school.

Pitch and sound will come over time. 'The key is practice.

No tricks. Practice, practice, practice.

Thank you, I'm confused about some chart ...

PostPosted: 2015-12-11, 19:36    Post subject: tricks for kan (2nd octave) Reply with quote

divino_marchese wrote:

Thank you, I'm confused about some chart ...

Yes, there are different charts between the schools. You have alternative fingering for some notes within the schools as well. Depends on the piece you play.

The basic notes are the same though.

To make it worse in dai kan the fingering can depend on your flute a lot.
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 09:46    Post subject: tricks for kan (2nd octave)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation