ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Protecting lungs when filing/drilling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop
Previous topic :: Next topic  
kjell159

PostPosted: 2016-06-25, 12:19    Post subject: Protecting lungs when filing/drilling Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hello,
I (try to) make flutes (primarily shakuhachi) out of PVC from time to time and I now got some bamboo poles in my hands which I would like to experiment with as well.

Now recently I got concerned about the health issues coming forth from working with these kinds of materials.
I have absolutely no experience in handcrafting things, actually I'm not that handy anyway, I just like to do this kind of thing from time to time.
So I have no idea how to work safely with plastics and/or bamboo/wood?

I can see a lot of dust coming off, which is logical after all, in the end you are removing material or in other words: ending up with less from which you started. (unless you are lacquering the bore or something, then you're adding)

Should I wear a mouth mask at all times?
I'm very concerned with the health of my lungs as I consider it quite important.
Visit poster’s website
Brice

PostPosted: 2016-10-11, 07:10    Post subject: Protecting lungs when filing/drilling Reply with quote

Hello Kjell,

My opinion may not be the right way to do things but it reflects what I use as means of protection.

You should always use a dust mask and protective glasses :

- PVC and bamboo dust can be very thin and so, it can go very deep in your lungs and causes a Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Even if I didn't receive any dust directly in my eyes, the only time I didn't use glasses, my eyes were crying.

I would also advise you to craft your flutes in a place where you can filter the air.

Have a nice day.
kjell159

PostPosted: 2016-11-06, 18:40    Post subject: Protecting lungs when filing/drilling Reply with quote

Sorry for the late response.
Thank you for your opinion on the subject. Okay
Visit poster’s website
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 10:50    Post subject: Protecting lungs when filing/drilling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation