ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salutations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Christian

PostPosted: 2016-11-17, 14:29    Post subject: Salutations Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Greetings & salutations forum folk,

My name is Christian, from the fair city of Nottingham and quite recently I've started a love affair with the Japanese flute Smile

A couple of years ago I picked up my first musical instrument - The Native American style flute and took to it right away, my interest grew, leading me to embrace the rim blown Anasazi & Mojave style flutes with which I could lose myself for hours. Natural progression led me to the Shakuhachi. My first was a 1.8 Jinashi by Steve Shepard, closely followed by a lucky find of a bargain 1.8 Golden Phoenix in immaculate condition with another bargain hot in it's heels - A Jem Klein Meditation flute. My love of the deep tones of my Anasazi flutes brought a 2.6 Jinashi into my life this week, which is proving an interesting challenge - I play right hand on top & this bass flute is naturally offset for lefties. Sure I will get the hang of it Smile

Currently I'm getting to know these instruments, playing my own style, seeing what we are capable of. In the future I would like to learn some tradition tunes, when I've become competent.

For now, I will leave these words that came after playing, my friend Tom provided the artwork -

LowBlow

PostPosted: 2016-11-18, 08:48    Post subject: Salutations Reply with quote

Hallo Christian,

welcome on the forum. Finding your own style and getting to know the instrument on your own might lead to some time consuming bad habits in playing later on which must be corrected. For the first steps it is a good idea to have a teacher for the basics to avoid those habits. Enjoy your journey.
Visit poster’s website
Christian

PostPosted: 2016-11-18, 17:01    Post subject: Salutations Reply with quote

Greetings LowBlow,

Thanks for the welcome and advice, I think my neck of the woods is lacking teachers but I did manage to get a copy of Masayuki Koga's manual.

I am and I surely will Smile
Jam

PostPosted: 2016-11-21, 12:07    Post subject: Salutations Reply with quote

Hi Christian,

Welcome to the forum! There is a little group of Kinko-ryu Shakuhachi players in Oxfordshire under the watchful eye of Michael Soumei Coxall. Should you ever find yourself this far south please let me know Smile

To echo what LowBlow has said I'd definitely recommend seeing a teacher at least once or twice to iron out any unusual habits, particularly if you're looking to play some classical pieces at some point!

Enjoy the journey!
Christian

PostPosted: 2016-11-21, 19:14    Post subject: Salutations Reply with quote

Jam wrote:
Hi Christian,

Welcome to the forum! There is a little group of Kinko-ryu Shakuhachi players in Oxfordshire under the watchful eye of Michael Soumei Coxall. Should you ever find yourself this far south please let me know Smile

To echo what LowBlow has said I'd definitely recommend seeing a teacher at least once or twice to iron out any unusual habits, particularly if you're looking to play some classical pieces at some point!

Enjoy the journey!

Many thanks for the welcome my friend, and thank you for the invitation one that should I be in your area I would like to take you up on. All my flute playing, bar one nice occasion, has been solo and introspective.

Aye, I am seeing that a teacher in the future will be required.
Chris Northover

PostPosted: 2016-12-02, 14:23    Post subject: Books. Reply with quote

Hi, Christian! When I started I found Carl Abbott's "Blowing Zen" an excellent beginners book, and later on an invaluable practice guide is "Shakuhachi Workbook" by James Nyoraku Schlefer. It's a long road!
Christian

PostPosted: 2016-12-02, 20:41    Post subject: Re: Books. Reply with quote

Chris Northover wrote:
Hi, Christian! When I started I found Carl Abbott's "Blowing Zen" an excellent beginners book, and later on an invaluable practice guide is "Shakuhachi Workbook" by James Nyoraku Schlefer. It's a long road!

Thanks for the welcome Chris Smile

I will take another look at Carl's book, but I must read it should I purchase it ! I have a tendency to skim then go off and just try things on my flutes - If it sounds good, Groovy. If it sounds bad, I'll experiment a bit more Wink
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 22:44    Post subject: Salutations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation