ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cracked shakuhachi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
wildhenry

PostPosted: 2016-12-13, 21:00    Post subject: Cracked shakuhachi Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hi,
A few years back my shakuhachi cracked and I was wondering if I had 'over cared' for it too much....... ie; let it get too wet.
I regularly put it away in a sealed plastic bag along with a damp piece of tissue which sometimes had some mold on it if left for any time.
And sometimes I would wrap it in a damp cloth which made the bamboo very dark and wet.
The shakuhachi was never left in the cold, however one warmish summer day I took it out doors to play and the next day it had split!
There was not a drastic change in of temperature.
Any ideas what I did wrong?

Wildhenry,

PostPosted: 2016-12-18, 01:35    Post subject: Cracked shakuhachi Reply with quote

In my experience, my Shakuhachi cracked due a change in temperature and humidity, I suspect in your case the change from being very wet and then being outdoors may have caused the split.

I'm not sure keeping them wet is a good idea, what I've been advised to do is to keep them well oiled (I use tsubaki oil) and keeping them somewhere with well regulated temperature rather than somewhere where temperature could vary.

Hope your flute is alright!
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 20:41    Post subject: Cracked shakuhachi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation