ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shakuhachi import horrors!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
wildhenry

PostPosted: 2017-01-06, 21:07    Post subject: Shakuhachi import horrors! Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hello all,
Let me tell you a tail...a shakuhachi horror tail!
I bought a 1.8 Yasuhiro from Mejiro in Japan, superb service and delivered to the UK in 6 days.....brilliant!
Then it got to the UK.....NIGHTMARE!!!
Total mess from the start... Parcel Force (nick named Parcel Farce) and now the new high value charges custom handlers UPS!
Together they have totally messed up what should have been a really smooth transaction.
The shakuhachi was ordered on 12/12/2016 and delivered to the UK 18/12/2016.....brilliant....BUT.
Customs (now UPS, sub contracted by the Government) have been holding it and after loads of false clearance messages are still holding it for no reason on the 7/1/2017.
Hopefully the flute will not crack under storage conditions and I might receive it soon in one piece!

Why Oh Why tell me that I can't find a selection of shakuhachi's for sale in the UK??? (last time was the late Dan Mayers when he lived near me in Kent)
Apart from a few players I know of here in the UK who only play and teach and do not sell, there does not seem to be anyone who sells and repairs shakuhachi's.... why?
Please enlighten me if you know otherwise.

Many blessings,
Geoff Hearn

PostPosted: 2017-01-14, 10:46    Post subject: Shakuhachi import horrors! Reply with quote

So Geoff, how does the tale go on? Was the shakuhachi finally delivered and is it to your liking?
I don't know if he is still very active as a craftsman, but Justin Senryu Williams, in Richmond, London, used to be a fine repairman and maker. (And knowledgable about shakuhachi traditions).
Your other question, it seems in view of the small numbers of players/customers, it is just not economically or commercially viable to stock a choice of expensive shakuhachi in Europe......
wildhenry

PostPosted: 2017-01-14, 13:35    Post subject: Shakuhachi import horrors! Reply with quote

Well...I'm pleased to report a happy ending.
UK customs hung on to my parcel from 19th December 2016 until 10th January 2017 and charged me a hefty wad to boot!
Luckily it arrived in excellent condition having been packed immaculately by Mejiro in Japan.
It plays very well although I would have liked more volume but I think that's down to me not playing shakuhachi for around 7 or 8 years (I've been playing western flutes regularly)
I'm hoping with regular long note practice I will get back the power I once had on my previous flute.
I will look up Justin Senryu Williams as I'm not far from Richmond.
I understand the reason why there are not that many shakuhachi dealers in Europe, they would soon go out of business as the shakuhachi is not exactly the most popular musical instrument!

Thanks for your interest.
Many blessings,
Geoff.

PostPosted: Today at 23:43    Post subject: Shakuhachi import horrors!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation