ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ro Kan fingering - partially open hole 5?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō
Previous topic :: Next topic  
barry_g

PostPosted: 2017-04-14, 16:36    Post subject: Ro Kan fingering - partially open hole 5? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I've been taught to close all finger holes for Ro Kan (D5). But I've recently seen a few Kinko finger charts showing a partially open hole 5. I definitely find it "easier" to blow Ro Kan with a partially open hole 5 (eliminates tendency to slip into Otsu register). I'd appreciate informed comments on the "acceptability" of partially opening hole 5. I don't want to develop bad habits and will happily "tough it out" if the proper way to play it is with a totally closed hole 5.

Thanks

Last edited by barry_g on 2017-04-15, 12:22; edited 3 times in total
Markus Guhe

PostPosted: 2017-04-15, 10:44    Post subject: Ro Kan fingering - partially open hole 5? Reply with quote

You can use hole 4 as an 'octave key'. I usually open it ever so slightly to reduce the 'pressure' a bit for kan-no ro.

I'm assuming by hole 1 you mean my hole 5 - the thumb hole. That's common practice too, but when you do that the pitch is less stable than when using hole 4 (topmost front). With 5 you need to add meri, with 4 you don't.
barry_g

PostPosted: 2017-04-15, 12:21    Post subject: Ro Kan fingering - partially open hole 5? Reply with quote

Thanks very much Markus and yes, I meant hole 5, not hole 1 (duh). I corrected my original post.
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2017-04-15, 17:35    Post subject: Ro Kan fingering - partially open hole 5? Reply with quote

Don't cheat yourself. Opening additional holes for kan ro is bad practice. It seems easier in the beginning but it will harm you in the long run. Your kan ro will stabilize with more practice.
Visit poster’s website
Markus Guhe

PostPosted: 2017-04-15, 20:05    Post subject: Ro Kan fingering - partially open hole 5? Reply with quote

In my view, calling it bad practice is quite harsh. I agree that you should be able to produce a clear and stable kan-no ro with all holes closed. It is very good practice. (As for many other tones, like kan-no hi meri with 1 & 2 closed.) But there are many situations where it is appropriate for better musical expression.
barry_g

PostPosted: 2017-04-15, 21:48    Post subject: Ro Kan fingering - partially open hole 5? Reply with quote

more practice sounds good, although I'm already doing 5 minutes of long tones on kan ro twice a day already.
LowBlow

PostPosted: 2017-04-15, 22:26    Post subject: Ro Kan fingering - partially open hole 5? Reply with quote

Markus Guhe wrote:
But there are many situations where it is appropriate for better musical expression.

Yes, i agree, but not for a beginner. First thing is to master the basics.
Visit poster’s website
Markus Guhe

PostPosted: 2017-04-17, 10:12    Post subject: Ro Kan fingering - partially open hole 5? Reply with quote

If we waited to master the basics before moving on we'd never do anything else than ro-buki. Smile
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 00:34    Post subject: Ro Kan fingering - partially open hole 5?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation