ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any suggestion on getting the pitch right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Kyle Rasmussen

PostPosted: 2018-04-13, 04:32    Post subject: Any suggestion on getting the pitch right? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Hello one and all, this is my first post and im delighted to be apart of this wonderful community!

Ive been playing for just over a year, and I'm getting used to my new Shugetsu 1.8. All the notes in otsu are in tune. I'm getting out of the bad habit of hitting kan by simply blowing harder. I'm now trying to push out my lip to achieve kan, which works for kan ro, tsu, re, chi is a little flat (5-10 cents) but Ri is 30 cents flat or more. My teacher says I need to put my lip out more but I can't seem to make it work. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts!
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2018-04-14, 09:48    Post subject: Any suggestion on getting the pitch right? Reply with quote

I am sure you can follow your teacher's instruction... but you can also try also to imagine the hole in your lips is smaller than when you play otsu which requires a more relaxed embouchure.
Then the airstream speeds up when the same amount of air is pushed through a smaller hole.
The spot ou are to hit on the utaguchi is a fraction of a millimetre higher than in otsu (in my opinion).

Good luck and have fun!
Visit poster’s website Skype
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 13:55    Post subject: Any suggestion on getting the pitch right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation