ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flute Lengths?
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō
Previous topic :: Next topic  

So, if you were to only have 3 flutes, what length would you have?
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
9%
 9%  [ 16 ]
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
31%
 31%  [ 54 ]
4%
 4%  [ 8 ]
12%
 12%  [ 22 ]
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
19%
 19%  [ 33 ]
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
9%
 9%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 171

Bas Nijenhuis

PostPosted: 2011-05-12, 20:15    Post subject: Flute Lengths? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Kiku Day wrote:
Hi Bas

I don't think I said non-standard... as what you wrote that what is shakuhachi standard apart from 1.8? 1.6 for some ensemble pieces? And 2.0 for Nezasa-ha for example? And for modern music 2.4 in A has become somewhat a standard too.

For me it is indeed as you suspect intimately related to the instrument I have in these length. The 2.9 I just knew was going to be my best friend and companion the rest of my life at first sight in the bamboo grove before I cut it down. I like that length where the rich timbre of the long shakuhachi suits the low pieces. But now I also like to play longer ones....
The 2.3 is for me a great length for somewhat mid-of-the-way pieces such as Tamuke and others. 2.1 is great for sugomori pieces.... but really it depends on what you have.

Correct you didn't, sorry Mr. Green , I just meant to say that there are some standard ones, but in the same time it isn't a fixed standard. I feel in the the west people are more freely choosing lengths and music.
It is good to read others play various lengths and especially because they like the flutes. I have a 1.6, 1.8 and 1.9 and a 2.55, but I can say my 1.8 I like the best so its my favourite so far. Those things can of course change when trying other flutes.
Visit poster’s website
Nicolas Delhez

PostPosted: 2011-05-14, 16:42    Post subject: Flute Lengths? Reply with quote

Before posting here I was searching a place to introduce myself but vainly I did. Does such a place exist?

Brian Tairaku Ritchie wrote:
Also when that standard came about people were much smaller. For me a 1.8 is like a 1.3 is for a tiny Japanese person.
Idea

Hi everyone. I'm a so new practitioner that I don't even have my shakuhachi! I'm driving my mind on this way, visualizing me playing (like I actually do with my guitar), listening to music. I'm waiting for and it's a 2.3.

I'm delighted to have found this community.

Aldous Huxley
Jim Thompson
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-05-14, 17:38    Post subject: Flute Lengths? Reply with quote

Welcome Shaku Yuu.
I hope your experience in the shakuhachi world is as interesting and rewarding as you want it to be.
By the way, I gotta ask you, what's the story on the axe in your avatar or is it just a piece of wood?
All the best
Jim
Nicolas Delhez

PostPosted: 2011-05-14, 19:19    Post subject: Flute Lengths? Reply with quote

Dear Jim, shakuhachi is first a human adventure (hit/beat/kick me if I'm mistaking Wink ), a journey into the mind maybe... So yes, it is REALLY rewarding. Calm one's mind, meditate on one's breath, a contribution for a more peaceful world. I already met so fantastic people, it is more than I expected. The man in my avatar is a german pioneer (probably in the early XXth) which plays with a big piece of wood (a trunk) by using it as a pipe. He seems to wear a beret on his head but it isn't. He just folded his hat to be more military-like. It gives history to the picture BUT nothing can be checked. It is not a problem for me, I like histories.
I apologize for my english which can be incomprehensible, I never properly learned. Do not hesitate to tease me with rules and stuffs like that. I wish to improve myself (as a general speaking).

Aldous Huxley
Jim Thompson
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-05-15, 03:46    Post subject: Flute Lengths? Reply with quote

Dear Shaku Yuu,
Thanks for the explanation of the picture. Looks like he could either play it or smoke stuff in it. At any rate, it is very funny. Thanks for
sharing. Your English is fine. I have no problem understanding you. Good luck on your journey.
Jim
Nicolas Delhez

PostPosted: 2011-05-15, 09:55    Post subject: Flute Lengths? Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words, Jim. This man should spent aeons to be able to smoke stuffs in it Smile

Aldous Huxley
JL Peilhon
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-11-07, 14:44    Post subject: Flute Lengths? Reply with quote

la question de l'ile déserte... mais il y a souvent des bambous sur les iles désertes, non?

alors plus sérieusement 1.8 bien sur , 2.7 et 2.1 . J'ai aussi un 3.0 mais un peu long à transporter donc 4eme choix.

j'ajouterais que mon 2.1 est à 7 trous: donc bien pour jouer aussi en E- (comme si j'avais un 1.6 avec du grave...= Razz )
Jon Palombi

PostPosted: 2011-11-08, 02:33    Post subject: Flute Lengths? Reply with quote

I voted for 1.8, 2.4 & 2.7... although ideally, I wish we could pick as many as 5 or 6 lengths. If so, I'd include a 1.6, 2.0 & 2.1.

I think Brian is spot-on about playing the ones we are less familiar and proficient with, just because we really ought to work more with those unique variants. Wouldn't this help our overall development as well-rounded players?

So who wouldn't want a whole spectrum of lengths within their collection, from 1.2 - to - 3.0? I'd like a baker's dozen or more, at the very least! Okay

Last edited by Jon Palombi on 2011-11-11, 04:55; edited 2 times in total
CharlesKoeppen

PostPosted: 2011-11-08, 17:56    Post subject: Flute Lengths? Reply with quote

Is it just me, or, after you get past the finger stretch/positioning issues with longer flutes, is anyone else of the opinion that longer flutes are actually easier to play? I find them much easier to find the meri notes on than on 1.8. I voted 1.8, 2.0, and 2.7. My reasoning was that the 1.8 is essential, a 2.4 to 2.7 fulfills the desire/need to have a longer flute, and the 2.0 was just because we were supposed to select three, and having a shakuhachi that plays C as the lowest note I've found can be convenient sometimes.
Visit poster’s website
Erin

PostPosted: 2011-11-08, 21:12    Post subject: Flute Lengths? Reply with quote

...can we still vote...I see the results but no option to add to the poll at the moment... Sad

...anyways, I would chose a 2.0, 2.4 and 2.6 because I like the sound of long flutes. I know 1.8 is the norm for lessons but left to my own devices I won't go shorter than 2.0 very often. 2.4 is just very versatile in terms of sound, I have found, and 2.6 is the longest I can comfortably go so its in there as one of my three fav's.
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:20    Post subject: Flute Lengths?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation