ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Correct pitch, using tuner
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō
Previous topic :: Next topic  
chuck56

PostPosted: 2013-11-18, 05:52    Post subject: Correct pitch, using tuner Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Where I think the value of a tuner is greatest is for new players who don't have a teacher. Most new players, play flat... at lot! So in the beginning as a player without a teacher, I always spent some time with a turner to make sure I was at least close to pitch. Being on pitch is a good thing even if you're never going to play with anyone because; if you plat flat when you try and create a deep Meri note, you could have problems. I've you're lifting your head a bit and keeping on pitch, you'll have more rane of head movement to help make those hard to produce Meris. Very Happy

At some point you do need to become aware of the relationship between notes, but you need to start out on pitch. Good luck all!

Live the moment, be kind and be your self!
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-11-18, 22:12    Post subject: Correct pitch, using tuner Reply with quote

Cool if the shakuhachi notation comes up. Not that it really matters - but it would be fun to have! Perhaps it would be great for students who are learning shakuhachi but have never played other Western instruments before...
For the curiosity, I wanted to download to my computer.... but didn't find anything for Mac.... Sad
Visit poster’s website Skype
chuck56

PostPosted: 2013-11-18, 22:54    Post subject: Correct pitch, using tuner Reply with quote

Hello Kiku,
I found the same thing, not much for the Mac. I only use a small kong western pitch meter. Now only when I first blow Ro to help me start off close to pitch. I have to admit I have little natural ability to determine pitch. Shocked

Live the moment, be kind and be your self!
kongwee

PostPosted: 2013-11-19, 18:38    Post subject: Correct pitch, using tuner Reply with quote

I use keyboard instead of tuner.
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-11-20, 10:10    Post subject: Correct pitch, using tuner Reply with quote

The thing I find useful about the tuner in question, is the visual reference to kinko notation. I don't have any musical education western style so all those lines and squiggles mean nothing to me!
Can anyone tell me what the numbered red dots on the tuner dial refer to?
kongwee

PostPosted: 2013-11-20, 14:57    Post subject: Correct pitch, using tuner Reply with quote

felix martens wrote:
The thing I find useful about the tuner in question, is the visual reference to kinko notation. I don't have any musical education western style so all those lines and squiggles mean nothing to me!
Can anyone tell me what the numbered red dots on the tuner dial refer to?

That why I use keyboard, listen to the pitch and match. Being able to listen and pitch from a reference source is more critical. Especially you are not playing alone.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-11-21, 20:04    Post subject: Correct pitch, using tuner Reply with quote

I don't know your tuner, Felix but red usually indicates that you are not spot on the pitch. You are either sharp or flat. If you were the tuner would show green.
Numbers probably indicates cent (half a note is 100 cent). It basically just show you how sharp or flat you are.
But again, without seeing your tuner, it is hard to say.
Good luck!
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-11-23, 13:15    Post subject: Correct pitch, using tuner Reply with quote

Hi Kiku, I mean the downloadable tuner mentioned above. While I'm on pitch there are various points on the dial marked with red dots and specific numbers that are a mystery to me. I think you can't get it on your Mac.
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2013-11-30, 22:17    Post subject: Correct pitch, using tuner Reply with quote

Oh... then I can't help.... I have only mac.... Sad
knowshit

PostPosted: 2013-12-01, 05:49    Post subject: Correct pitch, using tuner Reply with quote

The red dots indicate just intonation tuning. The ratio is also indicated.
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-12-01, 18:00    Post subject: Correct pitch, using tuner Reply with quote

knowshit wrote:

Hi Knowshit! Could you explain that a bit more simply! I'm unable to follow what you mean.
knowshit

PostPosted: 2013-12-02, 03:28    Post subject: Correct pitch, using tuner Reply with quote

felix martens wrote:
knowshit wrote:

Hi Knowshit! Could you explain that a bit more simply! I'm unable to follow what you mean.

Making the dots line up as you have been means that you are aligning your sounds in the tuning of equal temperament, which is a division of the octave into twelve equal parts. Just intonation divides the octave into whole fractions. Justly tuned intervals often sound more consonant than equally tempered intervals. There is no simpler explanation unfortunately, but read up on these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_temperament
http://www.kylegann.com/tuning.html
felix martens

PostPosted: 2013-12-02, 18:51    Post subject: LINKS. Reply with quote

Thanks Knowshit. It is slowly becoming clearer as I read!
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:19    Post subject: Correct pitch, using tuner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Dōjō All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation