ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teacher/No Teacher
Goto page: <  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse
Previous topic :: Next topic  

Which poll option most closely describes your situation?
I am a shakuhachi teacher
14%
 14%  [ 6 ]
Studying traditional Japanese music with a teacher
58%
 58%  [ 24 ]
Teaching myself Japanese music using books, DVD's, the forum, etc.
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Teaching myself shakuhachi but not playing traditional music
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 41

hirsh

PostPosted: 2011-08-29, 16:39    Post subject: Teacher/No Teacher Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I never had a teacher, but I got a book in Japanese (Shakuhachi nyuumon) and learned all the atari etc and Chidori and Rokudan from it. Played concerts of Sankyoku for several years with koto and shamisen players in London and Toulouse France, but then stopped because I got fed up with playing sad stuff all the time. My main interest is in free improvisation. I did enjoy playing Shika no Toone which I learnt with the Katsuya Yokoyama record and a score. I would still be interested in meeting a teacher if I had a better instrument than these store bought numbers. One struggles on.
No one sees.
Visit poster’s website
Kiku Day

PostPosted: 2011-08-29, 18:00    Post subject: Teacher/No Teacher Reply with quote

Skype lessons?
Occasional trips to Paris for a lesson?
Mr. Green
But it sounds like you have got quite far on your own! Would love to hear you play!
Visit poster’s website Skype
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-08-29, 21:50    Post subject: Teacher/No Teacher Reply with quote

That's very impressive, Paul! Rokudan is tough piece!
If you want to get out of the Sankyoku "sad" music mode, you seem to be more than ready to try Honkyoku. The book I enjoy the most is the one by Yoshinobu Taniguchi (Chikuzen Shakuhachi series). It comes with cd's of all the pieces. A bit of an investment but well worth it. Just in case you don't have Monty's link:
http://www.shakuhachi.com
hirsh

PostPosted: 2011-08-31, 19:41    Post subject: Teacher/No Teacher Reply with quote

Hi Kiku, I just uploaded a video which demonstrates the doobrie I mentioned (and how I play), here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc4NMcol3ew .

Hi J Danza, thanks for the suggestion. I met Monty some 25 years ago in France, and loved his work. He was a bit annoyed with me because I used a beautiful piece of root stock to make a humdrum flute. I find the instruments I want are all out of my price range Sad Even if they weren't, mail order is still lucky dip as regards playability.
No one sees.
Visit poster’s website
J. Danza
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-09-01, 00:30    Post subject: Teacher/No Teacher Reply with quote

The instrument you are playing on the video seems decent enough... and by the way... I really enjoyed the dynamic between the crowd sound and the flute... evocative...
Don't let the old trick of the ego: "I'll get to it when I have a great instrument" get on your way... you have the soul and the talent... go for it!
Jon Palombi

PostPosted: 2011-09-01, 02:59    Post subject: Teacher/No Teacher Reply with quote

Ditto,

Considering I am but a mere pilgrim on the road... what I say may have little merit or seasoned worth. Frankly, this is what I got from your video upload:
you honestly and nobly showed what the human spirit is most capable and willing to express, even in times of chaos and uncertainty (wow).

That being, the capacity to sound out harmony in the midst of external conflict and disharmony. MUSIC! I cannot say how much I respect your spirit, since words fall shy of the mark... but I salute your choice to sound out your voice in the stream of outrage and upheaval, which inevitably speaks of the unpleasant results of such an erratic state of mind. Through the sound of music, souls are awakened to a greater purpose. Wink

I am both a musician and a martial artist. From my windowsill, what we consciously CHOOSE to honestly express reflects our own convictions about what the power of our intention can do to change our perception of said environmental background. This is clearly shown by the very way we move and the music we freely express.

Ultimately, this is all we can do to balance the stress of our paradigm, human existence. What you have recorded, given my deep love for both, the genius of John Coltrane and the timeless beauty of the Japanese shakuhachi... leaves me breathless at your admirably centered effort. Kudos brother!

Thanx for sharing your heart song. I'm certainly not qualified to speak for the rest of the tribe (an extreme understatement)... but Ive got a funny feeling that I am not alone in this applaud. To quote Jimi Hendrix, maybe not the most shakuhachi-oriented character in our collective awareness (and I naively feel the Komuso priests of yore would possibly nod on this point?), "Keep on thinking free."

PostPosted: 2011-09-01, 04:20    Post subject: Teacher/No Teacher Reply with quote

It's kind of like a planetary alignment. A unique song from a different world on a spiritual instrument from a different culture to the backdrop of something important.
Visit poster’s website
x moran

PostPosted: 2011-09-01, 12:29    Post subject: Planetary depth and alignment and deep, immeasurable Reply with quote

CharlesKoeppen wrote:
It's kind of like a planetary alignment. A unique song from a different world on a spiritual instrument from a different culture to the backdrop of something important.

Charles, you're onto something here: Planetary alignments when you practice and perform shakuhachi.

It must have some deep tonal impact on the sound, almost as much as if you played standing in a Hungarian mineral bath with a cocobolo utaguchi inlay on two identical shakuhachi made out of the exact same bamboo, with the exact same bore profile, smoothness and urushi formula, both made on Thursday October 11, 1956 at 9:31 am in the morning near the corner of 7th and Main at the Greyhound Bus station in Los Angeles. Of course there is the the obligatory Taoist Shaman burning prayers at a little coal hibachi alter, but that's just a given. We all know that it creates the deepest of all sounds in the shakuhachi not to mention 36 additional qualities.

And musing on that, I wonder if you could play backwards better during a Mercury Retrograde? But I think it would have to on a 2.0 Shinzan with a gold lined ivory utaguchi, made from 70 year old Kyushu bamboo with special markings that alternately appear to be the Virgin Mary, George McGovern and Pǔhuà. The tonal possibilities would be limitless.

What do you think?
Johnny Filter

PostPosted: 2011-09-01, 13:25    Post subject: Teacher/No Teacher Reply with quote

Gratitude for your own pitch and a t-shirt with nothing on it

Chaos hoedown overlap hand and heart of eternal peace no tune

Blessings on all X paradigm for material distinction.

hirsh

PostPosted: 2011-09-01, 15:14    Post subject: Teacher/No Teacher Reply with quote

Johnny Filter wrote:
Gratitude for your own pitch and a t-shirt with nothing on it

Funny you should say that , I had half a mind to make the video again wearing my "Keep calm and carry on" T-shirt. Wonderful pictures. The man was a saint, to give us that beautiful music with that constant raging toothache...so we are told
No one sees.
Visit poster’s website
x moran

PostPosted: 2011-09-01, 22:10    Post subject: Teacher/No Teacher Reply with quote

Fantasically beautiful icons of John Coltrane!

http://www.coltranechurch.org/

(Kudos, bows and cheers "Johnny Filter", but who are you really????)
Johnny Filter

PostPosted: 2011-09-02, 04:53    Post subject: Teacher/No Teacher Reply with quote

I am Johnny, a poor American who likes to smoke, drink, play shakuhachi and black out. I forgot where does the void go? Oh, my aching tooth!

Thank you again for the sight and the sound and the fury
x moran

PostPosted: 2011-09-02, 11:40    Post subject: Teacher/No Teacher Reply with quote

Johnny Filter wrote:
I am Johnny, a poor American who likes to smoke, drink, play shakuhachi and black out. I forgot where does the void go? Oh, my aching tooth!

Thank you again for the sight and the sound and the fury

You know Mr. Filter, I'm still looking for someone who can cover Johnny Cash's cover of Trent Reznor's "Hurt" on shakuhachi.

That would be EPIC.
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:18    Post subject: Teacher/No Teacher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Teahouse All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page: <  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation