ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shakuhachi care - tempurature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
ntimperio

PostPosted: 2011-05-14, 00:37    Post subject: Shakuhachi care - tempurature Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
I understand the whole humidity thing, and have a nice cap and bag to help protect my shakuhachi. But what about temperature? What is a safe range? Can my flute get cold at night without me fearing it would crack? Can I leave it in it's protective bag in my car with the windows up on a hot summer day? Any recommendations or personal experience?

thanks,
Nicholas
Jeff Cairns
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-05-14, 09:06    Post subject: Shakuhachi care - tempurature Reply with quote

Nicholas, coldness rarely has an effect on the bamboo. Naturally it depends on how cold. I can't speak for - 20C and less, but around 0C is no problem at all. The bigger enemy is lack of sufficient moisture. As for heat, never leave your shakuhachi in a car in the summer. If you do, you may be in for a sad and rude awakening. Here in Kumamoto, Japan, I am surrounded by bamboo. The winter temperatures often get slightly below 0C at night with fairly low humidity. Summer temperatures often go into the high 30s with high humidity. I don't keep my instruments in plastic and I've never had cracking happen. That being said, it's not unusual in the late afternoon in the summer to hear a loud, deep thwack! resound across the valley. It's the sound of bamboo in the ground cracking from the heat.
Visit poster’s website Skype
david

PostPosted: 2011-05-15, 16:43    Post subject: Shakuhachi care - tempurature Reply with quote

I think a big cause of cracking due to temperature is drastic changes. I've had one shakuhachi crack on me. It was a very large bore I made myself. I had it inside and cool and then brought it out into the sun to play outside.
I have to keep my flutes in the car during summer also, but I am super careful. They stay in the bags/cases and underneath about 3 winter coats, which I leave in the car for just this reason. When I take them out they are still cool...just to let you know how much protection they've had. But never alone in a hot car without protection.
I don't think I've ever read this anywhere, but I think it would be a good idea to keep a shakuhachi inside its bag when moving it from one temperature to another and let it sit inside the bag in the new temperature for a while to let it slowly acclimate itself...nothing shocking.

PostPosted: 2011-05-15, 17:22    Post subject: Shakuhachi care - tempurature Reply with quote

I was a bit weary around the campfire the other day. Coldish night, campfire ... all went well though. However, I notice a real difference in how my instrument sounds. Best sound so far was playing by the open door with rain going on outside, warm/humid, sound was warm, full, round. Worst sound is when the instrument is cold, the sound is thin and whispy and the notes sound like i'm squeezing them out of a tortured mouse.

PostPosted: 2011-05-17, 21:35    Post subject: Shakuhachi care - tempurature Reply with quote

I must have jinxed myself by thinking about a crack. After getting Jeff's feedback I decided to leave my bamboo shakuhachi home over the weekend while I went camping to insure it was kept at a mostly stable temp, opting to take my used and abused Yuu with me instead. I came back to a happy healthy shakuhachi Sunday night. Sometime between Monday evening and Tuesday morning my shakuhachi developed a crack under the thumb hole Crying or Very sad

My first reaction was to have this crack bound, but another shakuhachi playing friend of mine suggested that I could keep playing it until the crack affected playing before having it bound. Any advice one way or another: bind now or wait?

Edit: to clarify it was recommended that I could monitor the crack for stability. If it worsens it was recommended that I send it in for repairs, if it's stable hold off. This makes sense to me. Any other opinions?
ntimperio

PostPosted: 2011-05-21, 06:03    Post subject: Shakuhachi care - tempurature Reply with quote

FIY: the crack has not progressed past here it was when I posed. It seems to be stable.
spiralofhope

PostPosted: 2011-06-01, 22:00    Post subject: Shakuhachi care - tempurature Reply with quote

From everything I've read, a small crack is guaranteed to become worse over time and must be attended to immediately.

I imagine it to be like a crack in concrete. As the seasons pass, it's guaranteed to get worse from water getting in and freezing.

Perhaps the bamboo could be affected by temperature and humidity much more aggressively in this cracking area? I'm unsure.
Visit poster’s website
ntimperio

PostPosted: 2011-06-10, 07:02    Post subject: Shakuhachi care - tempurature Reply with quote

I have done two things to address this. First, I bound the flute below the thumb hole with upholstery thread and no glue (so I can remove the binding and send it in to a pro if it ever gets worse). Also, I put a little black dot on the end of the crack using a fine point sharpie so I can monitor if the crack moves a mm (or less).
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 17:32    Post subject: Shakuhachi care - tempurature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation