ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index ESS Shakuhachi Forum
Practice, Culture and History of Japanese Bamboo Flute 尺八. A Project of the European Shakuhachi Society (ESS)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shakuhachi effect on voice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Andy Blake

PostPosted: 2011-05-15, 06:04    Post subject: Shakuhachi effect on voice? Reply with quote

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
This seems like a far fetched notion, but is it possible that playing shakuhachi would change muscle control associated with vocal range? I've suddenly discovered that I can barely sing at higher registers. Not that I was ever a great singer, but I do enjoy singing and playing guitar. I haven't been doing very much of either in the past six months since I took up shakuhachi but this is a recent development.

It may be that not singing regularly and getting older (mid-50s now) is causing a loss of range, but it seems odd to have such a significant change occur. It's more likely there are other factors at work here, but I wondered if anyone on this forum had noticed a relationship between the control needed for sustained kan playing and the singing voice.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Andy
Rick Riekert

PostPosted: 2011-05-15, 12:59    Post subject: Shakuhachi effect on voice? Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

I've been singing regularly for over 30 years and playing shakuhachi for 3 and am also in my mid 50s. In my case, playing the flute has not had an adverse effect on my singing, which I do in both the alto and baritone ranges. What can and usually does make it diffficult to maintain the high register is lack of regular practice. Happily, singing and playing should enhance one's breath control which is key to doing either activity well.

Best of luck.
Michael Komatsuzen
Professional Member

PostPosted: 2011-06-07, 22:23    Post subject: Shakuhachi effect on voice? Reply with quote

I would say that this is possible if you are using your throat to attempt to control breath.

I think that I remember my early playing effecting my voice, but have experienced hoarseness other instruments that naturally effect the throat more.
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 06:46    Post subject: Shakuhachi effect on voice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ESS Shakuhachi Forum Forum Index -> ESS Forums -> The Playpen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation